how many of you repair small engines as a hobby? $$

twinfords

Threads
Let it RAIN!!, we got huge rain over the weekend, will spark mower sales for sure, I sold two riders (Husqvarna and Montgomery Wards) i sold one Southern States push mower, i fixed a customers Craftsman walk behind (new blade, new drive wheels, oil change and new filter, also performed an all over visual inspection to tidy up anything else. $90.00 (they sent an e-mail after and said cuts like a brand new mower. :eek:) I picked up a lot of equipment to fix over the weekend (11 walk behind mowers, Stihl Hedger, Echo Hedger, Poulan S25D, Homelite blower, Troy-bilt trimmer, Weed Eater trimmer, Ryobi trimmer, Southern States rider (blown engine) getting a Stihl 011 AVT and a John deere 68 tonight hopefully.
Craftsman.jpgjohndeere68_2.jpg

twinfords

Threads
Tru-Cut push mower commercial duty score today
picked this up today when i delivered a mower to a customer, actually traded self propel for John deere RER 68 and the nice gentleman gave me the Tru-cut as well. bad ***** mower.

also got the Stihl 011 for $40.00, keep in mind that i have already performed my break down and clean to everything.

tru-cutstihl011 004.jpgtru-cutstihl011 001.jpgCraftsman.jpgjohndeere68_2.jpg

hanyoukimura

Threads
Question for you guys, what do you normally take off for trades? Is it a flat rate, or do you vary it based on what the trade is? What sort of value range do you have?

Just curious.

twinfords

Threads
Question for you guys, what do you normally take off for trades? Is it a flat rate, or do you vary it based on what the trade is? What sort of value range do you have?

Just curious.

i take deck quality and if engine crank is true, if so i will give $30-$50 if it includes the bag, mulch plug etc. bent crank $0-$10 if bag etc.

I first try to fix their mower, most i can for way cheaper than selling them a new one.

hanyoukimura

Threads
i take deck quality and if engine crank is true, if so i will give $30-$50 if it includes the bag, mulch plug etc. bent crank $0-$10 if bag etc.

I first try to fix their mower, most i can for way cheaper than selling them a new one.

Hmm, I usually do $10-25, but then a lot of the mowers I sell are usually less expensive, and the ones I usually get are nothing special, and some of them pretty scarey. I've offered to repair their mowers, but most people who are looking for one just want one right then and there, usually because they live a bit away, since all of my ads of on Craigslist and I rarely put them outside for sale.

Good to know though, I'll keep that in mind.

chance123

Threads
This is most of my bread & butter in the long daylight season. As a kid I turned an old homemade reel self propelled mower into a rider (sulkey) Then it was go karts. I made a differential with forward & reverse from a wringer type washing machine. Then in high school till now it was motorcycles. I went to the Harley school in Milwakee. I was and still am a musician and toured the world with my band. All this time when not playing music, I was wrenching. In the 80's I designed and built an exotic gull wing door sports car and Taylor Offenhauser built the engine for it. Today, by day I am at "TMW repair" and by night I am in my studio "The Musicians Workshop" http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com. At 70, I can't imagine slowing down LOL Life is great!!

twinfords

Threads
Chance, thank you so much for sharing. great life story.

twinfords

Threads
Hello all, i hope all is well! i picked up a Statesman rider for $100.00, came with new blades and belts still in the box. I also fixed 5 more walk behinds and are ready for sale. I do not talk much about what i do to the mowers but most of the time it is this (new blade, new air filter, new plug,new oil, rebuilt carburetor, check belts, drive wheels, cables etc and change if neccasary. basically everything i can do. Here are some pics.

mowersready 001.jpgmowersready 005.jpgmowersready 009.jpgmowersready 013.jpgmowersready 017.jpg

twinfords

Threads
Busy day, took off from work today to use some vacation time, sold push mower and the guy gave me his old mower, good engine, trashed deck. Guy brought two of his mowers to me and wanted to buy one but i fixed both of hos while he waited. He gave me the push mower plus $45.00 for fixing his. I also got 2 more mowers ready to sell. i have 15 mowers for sale right now and 3 riders. it is way out of hand. :laughing::biggrin:

twinfords

Threads
  • / how many of you repair small engines as a hobby? $$
Sold a Leaf Vacuum amd brought back to life several mowers today, A Toro, Murray, and a Yard Man, i cleaned up my driveway (i little out of hand with equipment. I scrapped 6 mowers and 9 engines.

mowersready2 001.jpgmowersready2 005.jpgmowersready2 009.jpgmowersready2 013.jpg