Honda Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Out of curiosity if I use my hrr commercially does that void my warranty? Also I don't use honda oil. Not that it matters for me it would just be nice to know

The warranty is different depending on how the mower was registered at the time of sale. Do you know if you or the dealer completed a registration? Dealers do it online, but individual customers may fill out and mail in the registration card. Either way, one of the question is "commercial" or "residential" use.

While the HRR is technically not a commercial machine, many pros use it daily. If it was registered as a commercial use, it will have a warranty, but just a shorter one.

If you'll PM me with your frame serial number, I can confirm how / when the registration was done for your mower and when the warranty will expire.

On the subject of oil, only two things matter: (1) It should be SAE 10W-30. (2) It should be changed per the maintenance schedule. You can't be denied warranty coverage by not using Honda oil, or by not using a type of oil (synthetic or petroleum). As long as you do (1) and (2), you'll have no oil worries as far as warranty is concerned.

Finally, a product warranty can technically never be "voided" here in the USA. It's a binding legal document that's in effect from the moment you purchase the mower. Honda has legal obligations to you they can't just walk away from, period. For example, if there's ever a safety issue, it does no matter how old the mower is or how long you've owned it, or even if you're not even the original owner, Honda (like any other company working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission) must repair/replace the product until they can prove *all* of the units effected by the safety recall have been updated and accounted for.

Again, get me the frame S/N and I'll get you the details; here's where to find it:

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

viper8315

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, new guy here! I just picked up a HRX2174HYA 2 weeks ago, and wow, what a difference from my old Toro I was using. This mower makes things so much easier, the toro was under-powered, leaked grass everywhere while bagging, left clumps, etc. The Honda is definitely going to make things easier. Well, just wanted to say hello, and check in. I'm definitely a do-it-yourself kind of guy, so I use forums to fix problems, maintenance, etc. Speaking of which, does anyone have a PDF of the service manual for the HRX217 series? Thanks...

Tim

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello everyone, new guy here! I just picked up a HRX2174HYA 2 weeks ago, and wow, what a difference from my old Toro I was using. This mower makes things so much easier, the toro was under-powered, leaked grass everywhere while bagging, left clumps, etc. The Honda is definitely going to make things easier. Well, just wanted to say hello, and check in. I'm definitely a do-it-yourself kind of guy, so I use forums to fix problems, maintenance, etc. Speaking of which, does anyone have a PDF of the service manual for the HRX217 series? Thanks...

Tim

Hi Tim:

Honda offers paper-only versions of the shop manual. Any digital copies (.PDF or the like) you might find are pirated. The HRX has been out for almost 10 years, and there are a number of shop manuals depending on the specific model, so you want to be sure to get the right one. Your new Honda has its own dedicated shop manual, just for the HYA model. You can get one from Honda's store on eBay for $35 (free shipping); here's the link:

Honda HRX217HYA Shop Manual / eBay

For DIY, you will need just basic hand tools (metric), a torque wrench for certain nuts/bolts (blade bolts, in particular, must be tightened exactly), maybe a 3mm special wrench to adjust valves, and either a flywheel holder or strap wrench should you ever need to remove/install the special flywheel nut. When you need parts, many dealers sell online (google a part number), but often with shipping, it's cheaper just to buy local even with the sales tax. In the back of the owner's manual is a list of standard service parts/numbers, and you can find a local dealer at this link: Find A Honda Dealer

Did you buy from a local dealer or Home Depot? If a local dealer, did the dealer collect your name and address and register the unit? This is important, as it will ensure you get the +1 year of warranty Honda was offering for mowers registered before June 1 of this year. If you bought it at Home Depot, there's a registration card in the box you can fill out and drop in the mail. Be sure to date it PRIOR to June 1 to get that extra warranty.

Finally, be sure to keep the oil changed per the Maintenance Schedule, and use SAE 10W-30. Regular 86 octane unleaded is fine, up to 10% ethanol if that's all you can get. For best results, completely drain all the fuel from the tank/carburetor when storing for the winter. Any gasoline in a fuel can that goes unused for more than 30 days should be dumped into your car/truck tank. Sadly, modern fuels just don't store very well, even with stabilizers and preservatives. By keeping fuel OUT of the mower, you also keep fuel-related problems OUT as well.

viper8315

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow Robert, thanks a lot man. Ok, I'll probably just pick up the shop manual if it's that cheap. I've always "found" ones for my vehicles, but those factory manuals cost hundreds. I got it from home depot, and yea, I registered it myself online, got a confirmation email as well. Do you know how long until I get something saying I got the extra year of warranty? As far as the maintenance, the only thing that I've never done is the valve adjusting. The manual says 100 hrs or every year. Is this something that's absolutely necessary?

JSB33

Threads
New member and new Honda owner.
My name is Jeff and I live in Northeast Ohio.
I have almost a 3/4 acre lot that I probably overdue the time spent on it (and the fertilizer) I cut with a Cub Cadet tractor but have a lot of areas that the tractor won't work on. I also cut the entire yard in the spring with the lawn mower.
Been using a Toro for years, it was getting long in the tooth so I have been researching lawn mowers for the last month or so.
Finally made up my ind on a Honda HRX2174HYA
Used it a little bit yesterday, I am still getting used to it, I have to retrain myself after 12 years of Toro. :laughing:

Here it is
HondaLawnmower001.jpg

HondaLawnmower011.jpg

Threads
New member and new Honda owner.
My name is Jeff and I live in Northeast Ohio.
I have almost a 3/4 acre lot that I probably overdue the time spent on it (and the fertilizer) I cut with a Cub Cadet tractor but have a lot of areas that the tractor won't work on. I also cut the entire yard in the spring with the lawn mower.
Been using a Toro for years, it was getting long in the tooth so I have been researching lawn mowers for the last month or so.
Finally made up my ind on a Honda HRX2174HYA
Used it a little bit yesterday, I am still getting used to it, I have to retrain myself after 12 years of Toro. :laughing:

You will love that Honda! :thumbsup:

polarisflyer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Muhammad and team! I'm new to this board... I acquired a used (practically new) HRZ216TDA mower (the one with caster wheels) last year, and I'm getting irritated with the single-wheel drive. Hoping that one of you has some insider knowledge of how to fix this (if it's not supposed to do this).

Cheers!

EAsyAs123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a Honda HRR2168VKA and it is starting to give me problems. Which is what brings me here. I'm hoping to get some good suggestions on fixing them!
Another one here! Purchased 5/25/12 to replace my old Honda (HRR216TDA, purchased 4/26/06) - repairs had become more than 1/2 the cost of a new mower! What problems are you having? The smart drive stopped working 2 weeks ago (belt slipped). I'm waiting for an update on it's status at the shop.

lildevil_66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,
Picked up a HRB217HRX off Craigslist in need of some TLC. Overall good shape. Owned a HRS215 for 23 years before the right front corner of the deck was broken when I hit a sidewalk. I can definetly say these Hondas are the best mower I have ever owned. Tried a new Toro after the HRS broke and what a waste. One thing I would like to see is Honda go back to the rubber wheels for their mowers. They get much better traction on the turf and last much longer than these "plastic" wheels on the new mowers. Currently refurbing the HRB and hope to have it up and running in a few days. The service manuals are impossible to find for free so I guess I will purchase one to help out in the restore. I think for about $70 she'll be running like new again. Great site with alot of usful information. Glad I ran across it.
Chris

kgp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hiyas! New member, first post. HRC216HXA owner. I also have an old Commercial Snapper which it replaced. (I may go back to the Snapper) Just wanted to introduce myself before I start a thread.