Honda Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

Vervepipes

Threads
Hi, checking into the owner thread. I just picked up an HR194. Has spark, runs if gas poured into the intake, so the carb needs cleaning. I don't know the age but it looks near new, the chrome is even still near perfect which is rare here in Nova Scotia. This is one of my favorites in my personal "not for sale" collection, even though it doesn't run yet. Bad part is that the bown bolt is rounded off so if vice grips can't get it off then I'll have to resort to something more extreme or a new carb. Well worth the price of a new carb considering it was given for free! I'll get pics later, I have it as an attachment on another post.

Attachments

• honda.JPG
    honda.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 17
  • honda1.JPG
    honda1.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 17

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Neat old mower...can't say for sure there in Canada, but an entire carburetor and most of its parts are still available from Honda dealers here in the USA. List price for a whole new carb is about $65 USD.

When replacing the carb or just cleaning it, strongly suggest you fit new gaskets, and be very careful to get them in the correct location and orientation.

Vervepipes

Threads
I really have no idea how old it is, I haven't looked too deeply into it as I have almost 20 mowers to sort, repair, dismantle and sell so my personal collection has to wait in the corners of my shed. I figureed maybe 1990's vintage by the look but who knows until I look at a serial number. I figure I'll buy a replacement carb and keep the one on there now as a spare to clean up once I get my ultrasonic cleaner. This one definitly was well taken care of and never left out in the rain or fog.

Don Ellis

Forum Newbie
Threads
new here good morning
find a lot of the info informative thank
have 2 honda hhr 216 series
:licking:

spoton

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, just joined and will be looking forward to the delivery of my new HondaHRX217K4HZA mower next week!

After careful consideration this mower provided the best reputation, features, electric start, blade stop and the dual blade system. It should prove to be a great purchase. I will review my thoughts after using the machine this next month.

I was looking for quality of cut since the area I mow is not that large. As a side note since my area of mowing is smaller, most likely this machine should last about 60+ years. Lol..

Last edited:

shacky

Threads
After years of owning Snapper I bought an HRX217 about 8 years ago. Love it but am having some engine troubles even after dealer replaced carb - separate thread.

magbarn

Threads
Originally got a HRX217HXA, then a HRX217HYA. Traded in the HYA and got this...

Attachments

• DSC01248.jpg
    DSC01248.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 23

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Originally got a HRX217HXA, then a HRX217HYA. Traded in the HYA and got this...

Just for your personal lawn, or will it be used professionally?

The HRC is an absolute tank of a mower, and should be the last one you'd ever need to buy. Shaft drive, commercial-grade engine, full ball bearings, triangulated handlebar supports, 1,000+ hour hydrostatic transmission, heavy gauge steel deck, the list goes on and on.

magbarn

Threads
Just for your personal lawn, or will it be used professionally?

The HRC is an absolute tank of a mower, and should be the last one you'd ever need to buy. Shaft drive, commercial-grade engine, full ball bearings, triangulated handlebar supports, 1,000+ hour hydrostatic transmission, heavy gauge steel deck, the list goes on and on.

Personal use, I just love commercial equipment lol. I've dabbled in homeowner trimmers and blowers in the past and slowly upgraded to commercial trimmer and backpack blower like the BR600 from Stihl and I was blown away by the difference in quality.

I have quite a bit of straightaways on my lawn to the weight isn't much of an issue as the hydro will be fully engaged most of the time. I basically got back what I paid for the HYA so I just went for the HRC. You're right about this HRC lasting a lifetime though, pretty sure my 4 year old son will be mowing with it hehe. :thumbsup:

Since I got the HRX217HXA for a song, I'm going to just keep it as backup, still runs pretty well, not sure how many hours it has, but has quite a bit of rust on the rotostop mechanism and the rear axle...

MagnumMike

Threads
New to this thread......... I have a 10+year old HRB217TDA. Best mower I've ever had !! I added an hour meter when new and it currently has over 230 hours on the machine. Now the bad news......my wife hit a stump this past weekend and bent the crank. It still starts fine and runs, but with a noticeable vibration. I'm looking to go to a lighter machine, since we now only use it for light trimming under trees and trimming around a shallow ditch about 30' long. Also only need a side discharge this time around. My only complaint with the mower, is the rear discharge chute clogs up constantly when dealing with taller grass. Am considering getting a new motor as the composite deck is still like new! Any owners of the side discharge Honda care to comment on performance etc?

Mike
Central NY