Honda HRX217HYA - Pushing throttle lever further than "FAST' Indent position?

Nitrohawk

Threads
  • / Honda HRX217HYA - Pushing throttle lever further than "FAST' Indent position?
I've noticed on my three month old HRX217HYA mower that the throttle lever can be pushed beyond the "FAST" indent to the end of the slot. Doing this increases the the engine RPM and of course, the blade speed. I've been doing this while mowing to achieve a better cut but, I'm not sure if I may be over revving the engine.

Is this supposed to happen? Does this mean the engine is not running at the correct rpm when in "FAST" position? Do I need to adjust the cable length and/or carburetor so the "FAST" indent position runs at the same max RPM as at the end of the slot, or should I just run it at the "FAST" indent and leave well enough alone? I've ordered the shop manual and a "Digital Hour Meter Tachometer" so if needed I can make adjustments.

I would specially like to hear from Robert to see what Honda's position is on this.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Honda HRX217HYA - Pushing throttle lever further than "FAST' Indent position?
Re: Honda HRX217HYA - Pushing throttle lever further than "FAST' Indent position?

When the throttle is in the FAST detent, a properly tuned engine should be turning at 3,100 -0/+150 rpm. This ensures the mower's blade tip speed is safe/legal, per the US Consumer Product Safety Commission rules.

You're smart to use a tach to check it, and the adjustment procedure is pretty simple.

I'll try and get with our service engineer for mowers and ask if/why the throttle can be moved beyond the FAST detent.

TLAR640

Threads
Re: Honda HRX217HYA - Pushing throttle lever further than "FAST' Indent position?

My HRX217HYA did this as well. I adjusted the throttle cable so the lever would stop at 'fast' and in the process gained a few revs, maybe 100-200 (I don't have a tach).

Nitrohawk

Threads

When the throttle is in the FAST detent, a properly tuned engine should be turning at 3,100 -0/+150 rpm. This ensures the mower's blade tip speed is safe/legal, per the US Consumer Product Safety Commission rules.

You're smart to use a tach to check it, and the adjustment procedure is pretty simple.

I'll try and get with our service engineer for mowers and ask if/why the throttle can be moved beyond the FAST detent.

Thanks for the reply Robert. I look forward to the service engineer's comments.

Nitrohawk

Threads

My HRX217HYA did this as well. I adjusted the throttle cable so the lever would stop at 'fast' and in the process gained a few revs, maybe 100-200 (I don't have a tach).

Ultimately this may be the solution. Let's see what comments Robert brings back from the service engineer.

Nitrohawk

Threads

Robert, any luck in checking with your service engineer about this issue?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads

So the black throttle lever on earlier HRX models with a manual choke had a detent position for FAST and then another past that for CHOKE. When Honda updated the engine with AutoChoke, the throttle lever did not change, thus if you force the lever past FAST, it will still move into a more forward position. Under some instances, this might bump the throttle slightly and engine speed could change.

So, just don't force the lever past FAST. A properly tuned engine will provide correct, maximum speed when the lever is kept in the FAST position. At some point, Honda will change the throttle lever design, and that's when the unused detent will probably be phased out.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

If the governor is set proper I don't see how you can over rev the engine, I would assume this would be set from the factory. Also I would assume very few people would own a hand held tachometer to check their RPM's unless they own a repair shop. Is this a common problem for Honda?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads

Is this a common problem for Honda?

No. Honda checks/adjusts the engine speed on every single mower at the factory. As a result, there are very few warranty claims or dealer field reports for improper throttle setting.

Nitrohawk

Threads

So the black throttle lever on earlier HRX models with a manual choke had a detent position for FAST and then another past that for CHOKE. When Honda updated the engine with AutoChoke, the throttle lever did not change, thus if you force the lever past FAST, it will still move into a more forward position. Under some instances, this might bump the throttle slightly and engine speed could change.

So, just don't force the lever past FAST. A properly tuned engine will provide correct, maximum speed when the lever is kept in the FAST position. At some point, Honda will change the throttle lever design, and that's when the unused detent will probably be phased out.

Thanks Robert. That makes sense. I'm surprised Honda didn't update the throttle lever at the time. It doesn't seem to be an big mod. In any case, I checked the rpm with the tach and indeed it goes up when pushed past the detent. However, I also noticed the rpm is a bit low at 'fast' detent (about 2900 - 2950). So, I think I'll adjust it by following the shop manual procedure. If I recall correctly, you do this by adjusting the throttle cable and linkage on page 3-14 and if necessary, bend the 'governor spring arm' to the left to increase the speed. The bending of the arm is the part I don't like!