Honda HRX217HYA knocking noise

sea157

Forum Newbie
Threads
On my Honda HRX217HYA, anything less than full throttle (like for warm up) the mower shaking and or vibrating and it sounds like an engine knock. Is this normal on this model?

I never owner a Honda before I always had Toro's

charley95

Threads
If it's still under warranty take it in to the shop. I have the same model I bought in may and I wouldn't trade it for 10 Toro's. I had an upper end Toro I owned for 8 years, it was the worse mower I have ever owned.

charley95

Threads
I would say that it is normal. It has a different sound at idle. I'm sure that robert from honda will chime in soon and ease your fears. I made a mistake in telling you I have this model,mine is the next level down from yours with the thumb drive-HRX217VKA. I prefer the thumb drive on mine for my needs.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
On my Honda HRX217HYA, anything less than full throttle (like for warm up) the mower shaking and or vibrating and it sounds like an engine knock. Is this normal on this model?

I never owner a Honda before I always had Toro's

A bit of knocking at low RPMs is normal. My HRX217HXA does bangs a bit at idle.

When sharpening blades (or installing new) double-check balance; remove some material to get it "just right" and that should reduce vibration some:
balance_zps3d317243.jpg

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert,
Is this a NORMAL KNOCKING sound for the Honda of should I be concerned?

Yes, that is absolutely normal, and typical for single-cylinder Honda mower engine running at very low speed without roar of the blades engaged.

FYI, other mowers you may have used in the past probably did not have a blade-brake clutch, and the blades were spinning when the engine was running. They probably also did not run as slow as the HRX, so would have a really different sound profile.

sea157

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Robert for easing my mind. :thumbsup:

My son was just over and I had him listen to it and he assured me his father in law's Honda sounds exactly the same and it has been running perfect for almost 16 years like that.

Honda must just make a different sound then the Toro's I owned, and by the way they (Toro's) also had blade-brake clutches on them.

Streamlight

Threads
Just picked up a good used HRX2172HXA, and it also has a knocking sound at low idle. I examined the blade clutch and noticed some rubbing between two of the parts (see photos). Everything is torqued right and I also checked for a bent crankshaft and it's straight. Possibly this knocking sound is coming from the top of the 'driven clutch' rubbing against the bottom of the 'ball control plate assembly'. I don't believe the ball control assembly is supposed to be scored like it is. The 2nd picture is of a new engine, and there is a 1/16" gap or so between the 'driven clutch' and the 'ball control assembly'. I will look into possibly putting a shim between the two parts.

Attachments

• HHh.jpg
    HHh.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 25
  • 2015-08-02 008.jpg
    2015-08-02 008.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 2015-08-02 002.jpg
    2015-08-02 002.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Honda HRX217 BBC GCV-190 #1.jpg
    Honda HRX217 BBC GCV-190 #1.jpg