Honda HRX Surging and Popping

HazyOmega

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All,

Mower: Honda HRX217K5HYCA
So I'm having issues with my mower. It's always start at the first pull but engine is really unstable surging up and down until I stabilize the governor with my finger. After stabilizing, the engine is running smoothly and doesn't surge anymore when cold. After about 2-3 minutes, when the engine gets hot, it does fluctuate slightly and there's popping sound coming from the exhaust. Bought the mower new back in 2016; it started surging after 2 months of usage. I figured it was my fault because I put 91 octane fuel in without stabilizer and it gummed the carbs. It's the model with the blade clutch, when the blades are engaged, the engine doesn't surge so I didn't cared much for 5 mowing seasons because it's running fine when mowing. You know, first time homeowner then first kid ... you have better thing to do than repairing a small engine and the years pass...

So, I decided that this years I'll do a "big" maintenance on the thing and change the air filter, spark plug, oil (change each season), sharpen the blades and clean the carbs. I wanted to get rid of the surging.
I read thru a lot of forum and everything seems to point towards a lean mixture. I believed one of the jet may be partially blocked so I decided to clean the carbs. Pulled it from the engine, used carb cleaner put it back. Still surging. I pulled it again and cleaned it using ultrasonic batch. It's still surging.

Now, assuming I did a correct job cleaning the carb, what else can cause this?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
A leaking carb gasket can cause surging.
Douse the area around the carb and engine block with wd40 from a trigger sprayer while the engine is running, if there is a change in rpm or the motor blows white smoke, leaking gasket.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it is still surging, carb is still dirty or a fuel delivery issue. Valve adjustment would be nice too. Clean the engine block cooling fins yearly also.

slomo

logert gogert

Threads
Cooling fins, the flywheel fan blows air over them, if they get clogged enough, or just thick dust and dirt, it won't cool properly.
oh yea i know that, but ive never seen dirty or clogged cooling fins

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
oh yea i know that, but ive never seen dirty or clogged cooling fins
But it happens.... I've pulled rats nests out of engines.... found some small animal bones in the leaves and fins one time too

logert gogert

Threads
But it happens.... I've pulled rats nests out of engines.... found some small animal bones in the leaves and fins one time too
oh wait, i have experienced dirty flywheel, that mower that i got out of my neighbors yard that i was talking about, when it started for the first time, dirt hornet nests went flying everywhere!

HazyOmega

Forum Newbie
Threads
Clean the engine block cooling fins yearly also.

Thanks guys, I never cleaned the engine and now that you mention it, looks dirty and dusty.
?‍♂️ I always thought the guys cleaning the engine was for the look ... but now that you mention it, is does make sense to keep it clean.

I'll also try checking the gasket.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
if it's a GCV 160 or 190, i think there's 3 gaskets past the carb, one on the engine block, an insulator, then a gasket, then the carbn if i remember right.