honda hrr216vxa throttle slipping to slow speed

edboogie

Forum Newbie
Threads
So at the beginning of last season I replaced the carb because it had a stuck float valve. Mower ran great last year. This year, the mower started up just fine and is running well, but while mowing the throttle slips from the fast setting to slow setting. I keep moving it back to fast, but this is kind of annoying. Anyone have a similar problem or ideas why it would start doing this all of a sudden? Thanks for any help.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tighten the rivet or replace it with a small fine thread cap screw with a Nylock nut.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The throttle lever on the VXA holds position with pressure from a spring:

hrr216vxa%20throttle_zpst3lfbcts.jpg

The spring forces the lever sideways, and the detents in the lever engage ridges molded inside the left-side case. In the case of a throttle lever that won't "hold still" it may be a failed spring, broken or damaged detents, etc.

The only screw in the assembly is to hold the outer shell together, and does nothing to hold the throttle's position.

Inspect all the parts and ensure they are not damaged or not installed incorrectly, etc. Over time and usage, the detents in the lever will wear down a bit, but doubt it's having any problems on your (relatively new) Honda mower...sounds like you are still within the 36 month warranty, so might want to have dealer inspect and repair....

edboogie

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I did some more looking this weekend, and something very strange is going on. When I set the throttle lever to Choke to start the mower, it is actually in the FAST spot for the carb. When the lever is in the FAST spot the carb is in the slow position, and when I move the lever to SLOW the mower shuts down. Of course when I move the lever to STOP it has already stopped.

I looked and it didn't seem like the cable had any real adjustment, is it possible that my cable got stretched out and needs replacing? Never heard of anything like that, but I need to be able to keep the throttle lever and engine running at FAST. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.