Engine Honda HRR2163VXA Won't Start

nytedford@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi-
Need some help. Usually take care of all my small engine repairs weed wacker, chain saw, generator, etc. but this has me stumped.
Have Honda HRR2163VXA lawnmower on its fourth season. Previously always started on first pull, but last fall noticed some surging until I engaged the blade - then all OK.

Over the winter did not run dry, but did have stab. in fuel. This spring would not even burp after many pulls.
Bought a new carb (Honda factory packaging) - thought I had solved problem and installed new carb - took pictures and got all linkages OK. Still would not start (gas valve ON), but ran easily with gas injected into carb and ran for several seconds (at fairly high speed). Adjusted choke cable.

Assumed plug and magneto OK..Cleaned old carb (cleaned bowl, high speed jet,etc. with carb cleaner and then blew out orfices with compressed air), then reinstalled old carb - still no start, but runs wih fuel in carb. Oil level OK, choke closed when in start position.

Drained out all old fuel, rinsed tank with acetone, filled with fresh fuel, checked fuel to carb hose - OK. Now slightly crazy - decided to reinstall new carb - did this, then noticed gas leaking from air filter. Took new carb off and cleaned float and inlet valve. Reinstalled, now no leak, but would not start. Gaskets look good, carb bolted in tight - I have run out of ideas. Thanks for any help before I take it to the dealer (and admit defeat).

Ted

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for any help before I take it to the dealer (and admit defeat).

Sometimes fixing a carb problem is simply not worth the time. A whole new carb is $15.08 (list price). I'd suggest buying one and also replacing *all* the gaskets at the same time. Be sure the choke linkage is working correctly, and governor springs are in the right holes. Finally, be sure the bolts holding the carb/air cleaner are snug; it's easy for a vacuum leak to creep in otherwise.

hrr216k3vxacarb_zps234e57ea.jpg

hrrcarb_01_zps453d783f.jpg

hrrcarb_02_zps713d2da7.jpg

hrrcarb_03_zps3d400601.jpg

nytedford@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert&Honda-

Want to thank you for your thoughtful and complete answer. The diagrams you sent are very useful in understanding the choke and throttle assembly. Taking your advice and have ordered a new carb AND gaskets. Will report back if this does not work.

Thanks again-
Ted Ford