Honda HRR216 poor bagging when lowered

gotomow

Threads
Looks like you've done just about all you can with your current mower. Here's a homework assignment:
Borrow a neighbor's mower with bagger and see how that does. If the results are the same then you are all set. If not then it's the mower and it might just be inherent to that series of Honda and how it deals with your grass.

HurstGN

Threads
In vid 2 the sharp shadow shows the bag looks to be allowing air through. In vid 3, I would expect at that speed, that dead grass should be picked up.
It looks like the mower just isn't developing enough vacuum to pick up that dry dead grass. I'm out of ideas to try.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's my results from yesterday. At the end, I show how the bag looks inside. I'm not expecting 100% to be picked up, but you don't think this is a normal amount of clippings left behind do you?

Maybe I just have weird grass. If it's not the RPMs, not a dull blade, not a dirty bag or deck, the only thing left is the grass?? But how does that explain that it doesn't pick up the clippings if I go back over them?
It looks to me like you do have weird grass and it's holding onto the clippings via the "velcro effect." But what has me puzzled is the length of your clippings. You're running the dual blade mulching system, right? I have an older Master's Series HR215 with the dual blade setup and my clippings are way smaller than that. And those 2 blades should give it plenty of suction and lift. Are you sure that you have your blades set up properly? Maybe snap a picture of the underside of the deck? How about your deck, are you sure that you have the front and back set at the same height?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's a Honda. Poor bagging is the norm on all their machines. You guys will have to live with it.

I've owned/used every level of Honda through the years. From their disposable walmart line to their commercial mowers. None impress or even get close to a 40 year old Snapper Hi-Vac.

slomo

ShawnCarl

Threads
One thing I forgot to mention is that the bag was filling up yesterday about every 150' linear feet. I also did notice that the clippings looked longer than I expected. I'll take a pic and post it.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
One thing I forgot to mention is that the bag was filling up yesterday about every 150' linear feet. I also did notice that the clippings looked longer than I expected. I'll take a pic and post it.
Dropping your mowing height increases the amount of clippings exponentially. The further down you go the higher the turf density. A half inch can make a big difference.

gotomow

Threads
Smaller blade on my HRX was towards the engine. Is your blade order correct?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Insufficient up draft for the type of grass and the length of the clippings
Every lawn is different so it is just a matter of finding the combination of blade lift and cut height that works for your lawn.
There is no such thing as "the Best Mower" it is a case of the "Right Mower " for your circumstances.
To mee it looks like those clippings are very fine and very long but in the first video your grass looked quite short and the clippings looked fairly short as well .
Some grasses with fine leaves are not suitable for rotary mowers that is one reason why lawn bowls courts and golf course greens are cut will a drum mower .

ShawnCarl

Threads
Here's photos of my blades. In the lower left, it appears that the gap between the front and top of the deck is intentional to allow for air flow in?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks. Yeah, that all looks correct. I give up.