Honda HRR216 poor bagging when lowered

ShawnCarl

Threads
My HRR216-9VYA has an issue leaving dry clippings behind every time I lower the mowing height. It has done this since I purchased the machine.

Please watch this video to see what I'm experiencing and possibly offer any solution.

TIA,
Shawn

gotomow

Threads
Nice lawn. When was the last time you power raked or thatched? Is your honda running at the proper RPM's? Is the deck perfectly clean.....perfect? Are you getting good air flow thru your bagger?

gotomow

Threads
Maybe different blades.
Description
The Honda HRR Lower Bagging Blade is a Quadracut twin blade set is made just for the Honda Mowers. The double sided blade design fits perfectly with the HRR models. This Honda HRR Lower Bagging Blade is recommended to be replaced in pairs, that is both the upper and lower blades at the same time.
Features
  • Applications include: HRM215, HRB215, HRB216/217, HRS216, HRR/HRT/HRZ216
HRR Lower Bagging Blade Mfr # 72511-VE1-020 **

ShawnCarl

Threads

HurstGN

Threads
I recommend cleaning he bag using mild soap and water, and use a mild bristle brush to scrub the inside of the bag. Bags can accumulate stuff on the inside that will prevent good airflow. The green grass is being propelled by it's greater weight so it picks up. The dead stuff needs to be propelled by airflow and that appears to be your issue. I just used a HRX217 to pickup debris from dethatching my yard and it picked up just fine. When I run my mower, I can see the bag bulge outward when the blades are running. Looking at the top of the bag, it will bulge from airflow, then it will sag if I try bagging too much and the chute into the bag clogs up due to the bag being full.

ShawnCarl

Threads
Here's an update.

I mowed again yesterday at the same height as before - 2.5". Prior to mowing, I sprayed the bag with the jet setting on my hose, then pressure washed the deck clean. I also adjusted the RPM from 2800 previously to 3200 now while idle. Running RPM while mowing hovered between 3000-3100RPM.

I think if you look closely at the bag at 0:38, you can see a slight bulge of the top.

gotomow

Threads
I see you have the blade stop. I'm wondering if that could be a factor. My hrx was a good bagger but I didn't have the blade stop. My new Toro super recycler has spin stop and it bags great.

ShawnCarl

Threads
I'll be going down another 1/2" or so tomorrow so that I can apply a fall overseeding. I'll really know if it's any better when I lower it.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's a lawn mower, not a vacuum cleaner. I think you're asking too much if you expect it to pick up every blade of grass.

ShawnCarl

Threads
Here's my results from yesterday. At the end, I show how the bag looks inside. I'm not expecting 100% to be picked up, but you don't think this is a normal amount of clippings left behind do you?

Maybe I just have weird grass. If it's not the RPMs, not a dull blade, not a dirty bag or deck, the only thing left is the grass?? But how does that explain that it doesn't pick up the clippings if I go back over them?