Honda HRR mower will not roll backwards

carlos davis

Forum Newbie
Threads
sprayed rear wheels with lubricant without taking anything apart it pulled backwards just fine.

1saxman

Threads
The only mower I have found this on is an old HRR that has been in use for 20 years in several different places and not particularly well-treated. I have gone over it several times but since it was used to mulch and the deck never cleaned, the whole discharge box on the rear is rotten now and holes are popping up in the deck - but the engine is amazingly still good. The last time I saw it, the complaint was not pulling back. I have a wide assortment of spray lubes of many kinds. The best one I have seen in my life is Slick 50 One Lube Aerosol. I won't take the time to describe the many ways I have had it work where nothing else would, but it does. I used this to simply spray into the axle bushings on each side and it worked instantly and lasted. I have put wheels on this mower twice and replaced the blade set. Naturally I use Castrol Edge synthetic 10W-30 in it and I don't know how many air filters. I am actually astonished that it is still in service. I always had the idea that the OHC engines were not as durable as an old flathead, but that is completely wrong. When this mower is done, it will be because of a rusted-out deck - not the engine.

Savvy Solver

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found the belt is also a cause of the mower non-reversing. Always use OE Honda belts as aftermarket belts aren't manufactured to work with the Honda slip clutch transmission. After adjusting the transmission
cable, turn the mower over and without the transmission lever engaged, turn a rear wheel in reverse and confirm the transmission pulley spins freely under the loose belt. If the belt prevents the pulley from turning, it will lock up in forward gear and not reverse. Honda OE belts allow the slip clutch function to work.

Briantii

Threads
If the belt prevents the pulley from turning, it will lock up in forward gear and not reverse.

That is incorrect. If it does lock up going forward you have a problem with the ratcheting gear on the drive shaft.

Savvy Solver

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is incorrect. If it does lock up going forward you have a problem with the ratcheting gear on the drive shaft.
Clarification, what I meant by wheel lock up in forward gear is the transmission is engaged to move forward when it shouldn't, preventing the mower from being pulled in reverse. The ratcheting gear on the rear wheel always allows the mower to roll forward. BTW I tried both OE and aftermarket belts, the OE belt allows the slip clutch to function, the aftermarket belt doesn't.

Briantii

Threads
Clarification, what I meant by wheel lock up in forward gear is the transmission is engaged to move forward when it shouldn't, preventing the mower from being pulled in reverse. The ratcheting gear on the rear wheel always allows the mower to roll forward. BTW I tried both OE and aftermarket belts, the OE belt allows the slip clutch to function, the aftermarket belt doesn't.

Gotcha, I see what you mean. Just wanted to make sure it was clear. :)

Savvy Solver

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gotcha, I see what you mean. Just wanted to make sure it was clear. :)
Many posts in other forums have reported their mowers having this problem return or unresolved even after complete overhauls which included from cleaning/lubricating/adjusting/replacing axles, pulleys and bearings, checking the pinion gear and ratchet key, to overhauling/replacing the transmission.
When I replaced a Honda OE drive belt with an aftermarket belt, the mower immediately stopped reversing no matter how it was adjusted. Changing to a new Honda OE belt immediately resolved the problem. A simple way to check if the belt is the problem is with the transmission cable properly adjusted and disengaged, turn the mower over and turn a rear wheel by hand and observe if the transmission pulley slides under the belt. If it doesn't, the belt is grabbing and isn't allowing the Smart Drive slip clutch transmission to reverse. Would like to hear if this resolves some non-reversing problems.

Briantii

Threads
Many posts in other forums have reported their mowers having this problem return or unresolved even after complete overhauls which included from cleaning/lubricating/adjusting/replacing axles, pulleys and bearings, checking the pinion gear and ratchet key, to overhauling/replacing the transmission.
When I replaced a Honda OE drive belt with an aftermarket belt, the mower immediately stopped reversing no matter how it was adjusted. Changing to a new Honda OE belt immediately resolved the problem. A simple way to check if the belt is the problem is with the transmission cable properly adjusted and disengaged, turn the mower over and turn a rear wheel by hand and observe if the transmission pulley slides under the belt. If it doesn't, the belt is grabbing and isn't allowing the Smart Drive slip clutch transmission to reverse. Would like to hear if this resolves some non-reversing problems.

The majority of the issues I’ve seen and have been discussed here are caused by gunk getting in the axle bushings. In my case I’ve been able to gunk up bushings in as few as 1-2 hours... I suspect this is why people don’t think it’s the fix. The problem is that the design is fundamentally flawed and has no protection for the wheel side of the adjuster. Adding a dust seal there after cleaning it and lubing it up seems to be a much longer term fix. I converted mine to bearings and added the 2nd seal. It’s by far the best solution I’ve tried yet. It rolls backwards better most new ones even. The belt for sure can cause problems, but I believe those are less common based on the work / research we’ve done here. There is another thread where a few of us are running variations on improved designs and every one of them that adds protection to the wheel side is seeing marked improvement.

Here is the tread. It’s long but really good info if you’re looking to permanently solve Honda’s mistake.

Savvy Solver

Forum Newbie
Threads
I anticipated the question was from someone knowing little about the problem or how the product works, and I offered simple solutions first (KISS principle). After reading the 14 page thread, I realized how much time you guys have put in this issue with skills and resources that are out of my league, and I admire your efforts and appreciate your satisfaction. The residential grade mowers are unfortunately manufactured with a balance of quality and "planned obsolescence", so If the mower can't be easily or economically fixed, the company hopes people will just buy "improved" new or higher grade ones.

Briantii

Threads
I anticipated the question was from someone knowing little about the problem or how the product works, and I offered simple solutions first (KISS principle). After reading the 14 page thread, I realized how much time you guys have put in this issue with skills and resources that are out of my league, and I admire your efforts and appreciate your satisfaction. The residential grade mowers are unfortunately manufactured with a balance of quality and "planned obsolescence", so If the mower can't be easily or economically fixed, the company hopes people will just buy "improved" new or higher grade ones.

Hey no worries we’re all here for each other. There is a TON of misinformation regarding how to fix this problem so I just try to correct / clarify anything that looks off. If you want a good laugh / sad engineering prowess... checkout all the YouTube videos that recommend cleaning the pinion gear. :)

Thanks and welcome! Hopefully the info can help / give you some ideas if yours starts acting up again. Converserly if you come up with something better, please share. :-D