Honda HRR Models: Rear Wheels Locking Up When Pulling Backwards

DUSlider

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRR Models: Rear Wheels Locking Up When Pulling Backwards
When you guys lube the new bushings, make sure you use something safe for rubber/plastic. If you use the same grease you put on the pinion gear you're probably asking for trouble.

I used DuPont Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant. Its supposed to lube and repel dirt/grime. The one bearing has a rubber seal on one side that is supposed to help keep gunk out. However if you use grease that isn't compatible with rubber/plastic, that seal will break down and let gunk in and will freeze the bushing on the axle.

I replaced my height adjusters and got new bushings this summer and so far its working perfectly. I'll update after the cutting season next year.

Briantii

Threads
When you guys lube the new bushings, make sure you use something safe for rubber/plastic. If you use the same grease you put on the pinion gear you're probably asking for trouble.

I used DuPont Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant. Its supposed to lube and repel dirt/grime. The one bearing has a rubber seal on one side that is supposed to help keep gunk out. However if you use grease that isn't compatible with rubber/plastic, that seal will break down and let gunk in and will freeze the bushing on the axle.

I replaced my height adjusters and got new bushings this summer and so far its working perfectly. I'll update after the cutting season next year.

Yeah I think that's a very valid point and why I'd love to know what Honda recommends. The Dupont Dry Lube sounds like a good option.

JHead

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased my HRR216VKA in May 2018 and have already begun experiencing this problem. Mower works OK at first and as it heats up, drive essentially stops working and wheels won’t roll backward. From what I’ve read on this forum, this is a design deficiency on the part of Honda which they didn’t fix after the Service Bulletin #107 in March 2017. I’ll be taking my mower back to the dealer tomorrow.

Briantii

Threads
Did the dealer fix it?

Gatafly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Took mine to the dealer to be fixed for this and also high oil consumption. He claims he can do the fix, but that it won't fix it as that is just the way they are. We will see, but not sure I believe him. Anyone else have this done and not work?

Bobz1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine was supposedly fixed but after 2 uses just the same. The dealer said they used new bushings. I think they got old ones. Will take back again in spring. If They don't resole it I will go directly to Honda as is useless if wheels lock up.

Thoffm99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Honda HRR Models: Rear Wheels Locking Up When Pulling Backward.

I too have the problem with my Honda mower locking up its back wheels when pulling backwards. I have in the not-to-distant past, replaced the bushings with the adjuster arms. Seemed to work a few times while cutting the yard and then right back at the same stubborn hard-to-pull backwards issue. Just recently I took both assemblies off, cleaned the entire gears, springs and assembly and added lubricant. Worked well for just one mowing job.

Weird thing is, I have noticed the wheels seem to roll backwards when sitting in the garage and I need to pull it out to mow. Or sometimes, but not always, when I empty the bagger of clippings.

I have almost sold it. Indeed I had it on Craigslist and couldn't get my asking price so I pulled it off. I have also seen a YouTube video where a post shows my problem exactly and what he suggested was to take it all apart and sand the shaft on both sides where the bushings slide.

Anyone really have this problem and get a long-term solution?

Same exact problem. Replaced the adjuster assembly using the part numbers from the bulletin, lubed it with lithium grease. Worked for one time and problem is back. It will backup but is harder than just after I reassembled it.

Opfoto

Threads
Honda issued a Service Bulletin on this problem earlier this spring; the issue is the bushings may be undersized, causing increased friction between the bushing the the transmision's axle.

34774573651_d74f5d218e_o.png

The fix is to replace the adjuster arms, which have countermeasure bushings.

Step 1: First, verify your mower is in the affected range; if it is NOT, you have a different problem.
Affected model list is as follows:

HRR216K9VKA serial numbers MZCG-8670001-9933580
HRR216K9VLA serial numbers MZCG-8670001-9933580
HRR216K9VYA serial numbers MZCG-8670001-9933580

Step 2: Normal warranty applies; if your mower is still under warranty, is having a pull-back issue, and is in the above range, Honda will replace the adjusters under warranty. All Honda dealers are authorized to do this warranty repair, even if you didn't buy it from them. Beware that some dealers may offer more flexible repair schedules for those customer who did.

Find A Honda Dealer

If the dealer doesn't seem aware, tell him to look at Honda Power Equipment Lawn Mower Service Bulletin #107.

Step 3: If you're out of warranty, a dealer can still do the repair. Most will charge about 45 minutes to 1 hour of shop time for this job, but that's totally up to them. List price for each adjuster is $12.10.

Step 4: If you'd like to DIY, it's not a bad job. You need to remove the rear wheels and all the parts on the drive axle, which include a couple of circlips, so you may need to buy a circlip pliers. A bench is a big help to hold the mower in an easy-to-work-on position; note this requires the fuel and oil to be drained:

34519498190_9202febbb1_o.png

34095672263_8fbce116b4_o.png

I'd be happy to share some detailed instructions, just drop me a PM with your full email address.

Interesting that Honda refuses to correct this issue. I have an 2012 HRR and I experienced this exact issue issue a number of times, I was told to make sure the gears are cleaned and lubed. No part replacements were ever offered either under warranty or not. I spent damn good money on a "better" mower. Found out rather quickly that I could have purchased a couple of other mowers instead for a lot less but I tought you get what you pay for. C'mon Honda are ya listening yet???

de3

Threads
I bought a new HRR 3 years ago,I used it for 1 summer and replaced both pinion gears twice,the reason for them wearing out was that the rear wheels got so much play that the gear on the wheel wasn't lined up with the pinion gears and was wearing one side of the pinion gear real bad,to correct the issue i used thin wave washers to get the back and forth play out of the wheels,but you can only get by with doing that maybe twice.....Needless to say after 1 summer of using it i sold it,I average 75 hours or more a summer,The HRR Is pretty much a small town yard lawn mower,I've now been using a HRX 217 that I bought new,it now has around 400 hours and this is my 6th summer for it,i've replaced the blade stop hub bearing and I upgraded the wheel bearings with real bearings and replaced the pinion gears twice,so its been a good mower///I also have a HRC216 Commercial with 45 hours,this mower is in a class of its own,very well built including good bearings in the wheels and a few other things

Attachments

• IMG_3780.jpg
    IMG_3780.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 19

Briantii

Threads
Yeah I think that's a very valid point and why I'd love to know what Honda recommends. The Dupont Dry Lube sounds like a good option.

Dry Lube did NOT work for me. Lasted less time than traditional grease. This is the “fix” I’m trying right now, that I think may hold some promise. I love the mower, just hate this insanely stupid design.

8DED523F-1E1B-48B7-B235-1F45EBC5C486.jpg