Honda HRM215 fuel leak

hanyoukimura

Threads
So recently I had a Honda Harmony HRM215 in for service.

IMG_9485.jpg

At the time it wouldn't stay running for more than a second or so, and judging by the stain on the deck under the carburetor (which you can kinda see) it had a fuel leak. I took the carb apart an cleaned it out. That got the mower running well, but a couple days later I noticed that gas was leaking out of the air filter box. Seemed to me like it was flooding. So I pulled the carburetor off again and took the float off to inspect the needle. In the chamber I found I tiny blade a of grass where the needle would sit. I figured that was keeping the needle from seating properly. So I removed it, put it all back together and mowed the yard twice with it, no problems.

The owners came and picked it up yesterday. Today I got a call from them saying that it would start, run and die out after a couple minutes, and that gas was leaking through the air filter box.

I'm not to thrilled about that. So its coming back again. My question is for anyone who might be familiar with these Honda engines. Is the seat built into the needle as opposed to being a needle and separate seat like a Briggs or Tecumseh carburetor? I seem to remember the needle had a rubber tip, I don't remember if there was a rubber seat like on a Briggs or Tecumseh. The parts diagram doesn't seem to show one. I also remember that the needle had a small spring on it. At the time I inspected it the rubber looked fine and I guess the spring was fine, but could either of those cause the flooding? Would anything else be the culprit? I don't recall any sort of float adjustment tab like what Tecumsehs have.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have no experience with that engine but I have one suggestion: if possible install an after-market fuel filter. The kind I'm talking about usually take 1/4" fuel line on each side and aren't expensive at all.

That has been a big help preventing problems relating to fuel clogging -- at least with the two-stroke engines that I deal with. Any decent filter will catch pieces of crud much smaller than a visible hunk of grass.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
A bad seal on the float needle would surely cause a fuel leak. There is a rubber part, as well as a spring; here's a page from the shop manual that outlines the details:

Attachments

• hrm carb page 1.jpg
    hrm carb page 1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 20