Honda HR214 self propel stopped working

SF1

Threads
Hello everyone, I have a classic Honda hr214 push mower, that's been my trust and dependable mower for the last 25 years.
Anyway, to make a long story short the self propel and the stop engage stopped working at the same time. The stop lever is not a big deal cause I just shut it off manually. My main concern is the transmission. When the self propel stopped working one day, then a day later it was working again ? Let me just say that for all of the years I've owned this mower, I've always changed the oil at the beginning of the season, but this year that wasn't the case. So, after the self propel stopped working for the second time I had checked the oil and it was very low, and there was a creamy white residue on the dipstick, so I immediately drained the oil and there was a decent amount of oil that came out. Btw, I cleaned everything in there thoroughly carb cleaner and blew air with my compressor before I put the new oil in it.
So what I'm getting at, can this be the reason for the problem ? Did I blow the tranny ? If anyone has ever experienced something like this please let me know. Btw, I've attached some pictures, I hope they help. Thank you !

Attachments

• IMG_20230517_124504907.jpg
    IMG_20230517_124504907.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 31

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When was the last time you changed the belt, as it sounds like your belt or tranny pulley may be worn. Engine oil will have no connection with drive problem.

SF1

Threads
When was the last time you changed the belt, as it sounds like your belt or tranny pulley may be worn. Engine oil will have no connection with drive problem.
You mean there's a belt on here ? OMG where lol

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry l‘ve got my units mixed up. Yours is shaft driven and I had one like that a few years ago where I found that the wheel drive assembly’s were so gummed up that the ratchet pawls could hardly move. Might what to start there. Again for my other post.

SF1

Threads
Sorry l‘ve got my units mixed up. Yours is shaft driven and I had one like that a few years ago where I found that the wheel drive assembly’s were so gummed up that the ratchet pawls could hardly move. Might what to start there. Again for my other post.
Figured you got confused with another post. I've never encountered this before, can you elaborate a little more ? Thanks

SF1

Threads
Ok great ! Thank you

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start the mower without the cover over he drive shaft and check it is turning
With a gloved hand try pinching that tube to see if you can make it stop turning with the engine running very slowly .
I have a lot of these in my run used by commercial customers
In the gearbox the pin that the clutch pushes to engage the drive wears down over time because it does not rotate but it pushes agains a rotating part .
The usual symptom is it won't drive from stand still but will if you give it a push to get it started .

SF1

Threads
With a gloved hand try pinching that tube to see if you can make it stop turning with the engine running very slowly .
In the gearbox the pin that the clutch pushes to engage the drive wears down over time because it does not rotate but it pushes agains a rotating part .
The usual symptom is it won't drive from stand still but will if you give it a push to get it started .
Ok, hopefully I can do what you're telling me, have to pin point the parts you're talking about, I try to do everything myself, but this issue is definitely new to me

SF1

Threads
Hi, I'm going to try what you've mentioned this week, but I wanna be sure I'm doing the right thing. With the engine running slowly I'm going to completely stop the spindle that turns to see if the self propelled lever engages ? If it does or doesn't, what's my next step ? Do I take the gear box apart and check the pin ? Very sorry for my confusion, I'll attempt a lot of things when they need repair, but I just want to have a clearer idea of what I'm doing. Thank you