Honda Harmony 2013 SA Transmission pulley

foe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

The drive belt on my Honda 2013 SA shredded at some point then broke. I have removed the remains of the old belt and I have a copy of the service guide instructions for replacing the belt but (and this is the big but) the transmission pulley seem to have been split into two halfs along the perimeter in the root where the belt seats. (To clarify, I'm talking about the pulley becoming two disks, both on the transmission shaft, one spins freely, the other is locked in place by the woodruff key). My question is, how does the pulley come off? Do I have to drop the transmission? A copy of the relevant pages of the shop manual would be much appreciated!

Best,

David

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi,

The drive belt on my Honda 2013 SA shredded at some point then broke. I have removed the remains of the old belt and I have a copy of the service guide instructions for replacing the belt but (and this is the big but) the transmission pulley seem to have been split into two halfs along the perimeter in the root where the belt seats. (To clarify, I'm talking about the pulley becoming two disks, both on the transmission shaft, one spins freely, the other is locked in place by the woodruff key). My question is, how does the pulley come off? Do I have to drop the transmission? A copy of the relevant pages of the shop manual would be much appreciated!

Best,

David

Hello and welcome, David:

The shop manual isn't very clear what might be required to just remove the input pulley on the transmission. Not sure if there is enough clearance to lift it off the input shaft and slide out. You may need to unbolt and slightly lower the transmission itself to get enough space for this job. There is an access panel on the topside for belt removal/replacement that might help with getting the pulley out.

I can tell you the input pulley is a one-piece part, so sounds for sure that yours is damaged. Honda still offers a new pulley, Honda Part Number 76215-771-010 but it is a bit spendy at $133.88 list. Google the part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area:

Find A Honda Dealer

A new genuine Honda drive belt is part number 22431-771-003 / $44.88.

Hope this helps.

foe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Robert! Before I splash out for a new pulley and belt, can you (or anyone else) confirm that the transmission can be checked by simply putting the shift in gear (out of neutral) and spinning one of the wheels (lifting the body so the wheels clear the ground) and checking that the transmission power shaft turns? I assume it should be smooth and noise free? Thanks again!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you Robert! Before I splash out for a new pulley and belt, can you (or anyone else) confirm that the transmission can be checked by simply putting the shift in gear (out of neutral) and spinning one of the wheels (lifting the body so the wheels clear the ground) and checking that the transmission power shaft turns? I assume it should be smooth and noise free? Thanks again!

That sounds reasonable. I'd try 1st gear as it should be the easier one manipulate.

Was the tractor driving/shifting okay before the pulley broke?

foe

Forum Newbie
Threads
The seller told me that all it needed was the belt and that it ran fine until the belt broke. So I bought the tractor thinking it wouldn't be too hard to fix (I don't think he knew the pulley was broken). The motor runs nicely and the deck blades spin (I have already removed the deck in anticipation of replacing the belt). The belt both shredded and wrapped a wide piece of itself around the shaft with a long piece of kevlar or whatever) garroting the pulley! My worry is that the transmission is unavailable and was messed up during the failure of the belt. If that happens, I'll have to find a donor tractor or hitch a horse to it ;)

Thanks again for your help!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you lash out putting good money after bad, it might be worth trying to bolt the 2 halves together. If for no other reason than to check the tranny is in fact working.
Mind you Hondas are worth spending money on.
The input pulley is spot welded together so if not damaged too bad you should be able to get a small clamp, or lock jaw pliers in there to hold the halves together while you drill a few bolt holes
I do not recommend mowing like this but it should hold together well enough to do some test drives

foe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone for the comments.

The transmission seems to work based on the test described above (at least it did after I remembered to release the parking brake). Thanks for the bolt-together-the-two-halves of the pulley idea. I thought of that too but I will still need to access the pulley (and at this point the cost of the new part, if everything else works, is not a barrier). It looks to me like dropping the transmission is the best approach to pulling the pulley off since I may need to put a gear puller on it. Also, I guess there is a circlip ring on the top of the pulley but that's hard to access so, again, dropping the transmission seems inevitable. As far as I can see this will require removing the axle bolts (two on each side) plus the separating the shifter linkage somewhere. I might be able to do that without removing the wheels but maybe I should just to see what else is back there.
Thanks for the opportunity to think this through, any comments or alternative approaches, would be welcome!

David

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
any comments or alternative approaches, would be welcome!

David

Might want to invest in a factory shop manual; it can save you countless time and avoid much frustration when doing repair work. Honda sells them direct via eBay and Amazon, free shipping:

23424756356_40a804ed01_o.png
23082972189_a7623c69fc_o.png

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most times you remove the body rather than dropping the tranny.
That way you do not alter any of the settings of the levers & controls.
Heed Roberts advice.
Honda manuals are well written and worth the few $$ they ask for them.