Engine Honda GXV340 ENGINE

geobee

Threads
Hi all, could someone please confirm the HP rating of this engine. I read some sites that state 9HP, then others 11HP. If it is 11HP, would it possibly be suitable to drive a 42 inch cut deck on a Westwood Ride on? Grass is not overgrown and fairly easy to cut. Many thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes 11 it is and no it will be very underpowered for your Westwood 42" is a lot for an 11 to cope with and Honda's are high revving low torque Hp so generally you go one Hp size bigger if you are fitting a Honda engine to some thing that was fitted with a B & S or Kohler or fit a smaller engine pulley.

From memory ( because I am too lazy to check ) those Westwoods came with 18Hp B & S Horizontal twin engine which ws all torque & no horses.
I would be looking at a 16 to 25 Hp V twin.

The caveat to this is if you live around the very flat Melbourne basin or Murry basin and mow very regularly.
In that case you will get by with the Honda engine, but only just and it will be slow mowing.

There are a couple of bods who bring in superseded & production overrun engines from the USA and flog them off on evilbay at really good prices.
Ring them up and see what they have in stock as they usually only list a few, the bloke up here ( Sydney ) has better than 1000 engines in stock ( more than B & S have in stock )
A 16 Hp twin will run rings around a 25Hp single on your machine.
Almost any domestic ride on mower will drop straight in they all have the same mounting centres & PTO shafts 1" dia x 5 3/8" long
Commercila engines have a thicker shaft, usually 1 1/8" or 1 1/4 for the really heavy stuff.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi all, could someone please confirm the HP rating of this engine. I read some sites that state 9HP, then others 11HP. If it is 11HP, would it possibly be suitable to drive a 42 inch cut deck on a Westwood Ride on? Grass is not overgrown and fairly easy to cut. Many thanks.

In stock trim, the standard GXV340 produces 8.9 hp @ 3,600 rpm. Now that is what Honda says for the base engine, but the engine used in your machine may have been tuned to a different spec.

Source: [url]http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gxv340[/URL]