Repairs Honda GXV140 No spark

Lawnranger

Threads
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum but not to small engine repair. I'm more familiar with B&S engines than anything else but I'm working on this Honda powered walk behind mower that belongs to my friend that has a no spark condition. Here is what I've done so far - checked for spark using two different spark checkers, checked primary ignition cut off switch that attaches to the small lead on the bottom of the coil (the switch ohm's out at close to zero when closed and infinity when open), removed coil and cleaned both flywheel magnet and coil, used a standard business card to set coil/flywheel gap and still no spark.

I'm thinking that the coil is bad but wanted to ask if someone else has any ideas or could tell me what I'm overlooking. Is there a way to test this coil??? This is a gxv140 engine on a craftsman mower deck. The mower deck s/n is 917376370. I went to Sears website and found that the engine is no longer available and there is no information on their site. This is an older honda engine and I cannot locate any other designation for the model number such as build date/code. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Lawnranger

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's the "no spark" troubleshooting section from the GXV140 shop manual:

attachment.php

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

Attachments

• gxv140 ignition troubleshooting.png
    gxv140 ignition troubleshooting.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 114

Lawnranger

Threads
Hello Robert,

Thank you very much for the flow chart and it really does confirm what I suspected all along. I'll have to find a coil for it and that should fix it. I didn't want to start by replacing the most expensive part in the system only to find out that it wasn't defective.

Again, I appreciate your help and have a good day.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
You would not happen to be the same "Lawnranger" who works for Home Depot's online community?

If so, I'm the Honda guy you met at the Blogwell conference last year in Sandy Springs...

Lawnranger

Threads
No, I'm not the guy you made reference to. I just happen to cut grass for myself, my neighbor, a cemetery and three acres at a church so my rider is used quite frequently and as a result I have to do more maintenance on it so my wife gave me the nickname of Lawnranger since I do a lot of grass cutting by myself. I also do a lot of maintenance/repairs for family & friends and this Honda with no spark came in recently so I thought I'd verify my suspicions here on this forum. Hopefully you can connect with the other "Lawnranger".

Thanks again for your willingness to help me.

Lawnranger

Threads
Where can I purchase a working, used ignition coil for this honda engine?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?