Honda GX110 Engine Wont Run

Mstev781

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda GX110 engine that has a water pump on it. It is an older engine that is in like brand new condition. It has sat around for about 10-12 years with out being used. It had gas in it and of course it had gone bad. I replaced the carb, cleaned the tank, replaced the filter and gas line and the spark plug. I cant get it to run for one a couple of seconds when i spray carb cleaner in the carb. When i do this and try and start it it revs up for a second or two (seems like just enough time to burn the carb cleaner) and then quits. There is no low oil sensors. I assume that because it will run when i spray carb cleaner in the carb that the carb is working. I took the new carb apart just to make sure there was nothing strange going on inside and it all looked good.

I cant figure out what is happening and why it wont run. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If it runs and dies you have a fuel delivery issue.
The carb cleaner you spray in it takes a different path than the gasoline.
Did you use a OEM carb or a chineseium carb?

Mstev781

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it runs and dies you have a fuel delivery issue.
The carb cleaner you spray in it takes a different path than the gasoline.
Did you use a OEM carb or a chineseium carb?

Its a China carb that came in a kit from Amazon. And yeah it seems like a carb issue because what else could it be. I figured by having the air cleaner off and blowing card cleaner through the air intake it follow the same path tough. I did take the carb apart and blew carb cleaner through everything to make sure they was nothing blocking anything.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I would spray through the main jet in the carb. It should squirt up into the throat of the carburetor where the butter fly valves are.

And I guess you have gas flowing from the tank?

Spraying behind the aircleaner just goes straight into the intake and cylinder.
Not through the jet and other passages. Like gas

Mstev781

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would spray through the main jet in the carb. It should squirt up into the throat of the carburetor where the butter fly valves are.

And I guess you have gas flowing from the tank?

Spraying behind the aircleaner just goes straight into the intake and cylinder.
Not through the jet and other passages. Like gas

Yes gas is flowing from the tank and the bowl on the carb has gas in it. I took the carb total apart and blew cleaner through it and everything was clean. I will try it again. The carb that was on it originally was a ready mess from gas sitting in it for 10+ years. I have it soaking in carb cleaner. Maybe ill using the original one if all else fails

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
turn the carb sideways and blow air over the venturii.
If a fuel mist blows out the other end then the problem is in the valves & not the carb.

Te first step test is to toss a very small amount of fuel down the plug hole .
If the engines fires up and runs a few times then the ignition timing is good & the plug is good.
You then toss some fuel ( or spray) down the carb.
If it does not fire then the valves are not working.
So the rocker cover comes off so you can watch the valves moving or not moving as the case may be.
When an engine has been sitting for a long time then the valve stems can rust a little so they get stuck in the guides and do not fully close.
The valve face / seat can also rust so not make an effective seal.

Mstev781

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes gas is flowing from the tank and the bowl on the carb has gas in it. I took the carb total apart and blew cleaner through it and everything was clean. I will try it again. The carb that was on it originally was a ready mess from gas sitting in it for 10+ years. I have it soaking in carb cleaner. Maybe ill using the original one if all else fails

Just wanted to give you a follow up. I took the new carb apart again and blew carb cleaner through it and still nothing. Cleaned the original one after soaking it overnight in carb cleaner and put it on and it fired up second pull. Something must be defective with the new one that came in the kit i bought from amazon. The kit included Carburetor, air filter, spark plug, gas filter and gas line for only $15.99 i guess i cant expect to much from it.

Thanks for you help

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Around 1/3 of the mower parts sold on Amazon are known factory defects
If you paid for them with your credit card ask them to refund the money as the product was defective.

david02777

Threads
Around 1/3 of the mower parts sold on Amazon are known factory defects
If you paid for them with your credit card ask them to refund the money as the product was defective.

I may be one of the first to suspect Chinese high-volume manufacturing, and I wonder about this statistic. Do you know where it comes from and is there any way to buy on Amazon and not get a defective part? I just bought a BMW high pressure fuel pump off eBay - it was 50% less than what my local dealer was going to charge, and it was sold to me by another dealer 1500 miles away. Maybe something similar going on at Amazon?