Honda GCV160 No Start

WickedV 77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda gcv160 on a 4 year old pressure washer. Was using it yesterday, ran out of gas, filled it back up and now it will not start. I’m not an excellent mechanic to say the least. But I do know a little bit. I had no compression in the cylinder. I pulled the valve cover and found that the exhaust rocker arm has quite a bit of play in it. Upon further inspection the valve doesn’t have the range of movement that the intake valve has. So I used a borescope and was able to verify that the exhaust valve is not closing all the way. Which would explain the no compression. I inspected the piston and there are no marks on it indicating the piston made contact with the valve. So my question is. What could cause it to be running fine, run out of gas and bend a valve? My next question, is it worth fixing? I’ve never tore a small engine apart before but think I can do it. But I’m not going to fool with it if anyone thinks the head might be damaged as well.

Chris Parman

Threads
I have a Honda gcv160 on a 4 year old pressure washer. Was using it yesterday, ran out of gas, filled it back up and now it will not start. I’m not an excellent mechanic to say the least. But I do know a little bit. I had no compression in the cylinder. I pulled the valve cover and found that the exhaust rocker arm has quite a bit of play in it. Upon further inspection the valve doesn’t have the range of movement that the intake valve has. So I used a borescope and was able to verify that the exhaust valve is not closing all the way. Which would explain the no compression. I inspected the piston and there are no marks on it indicating the piston made contact with the valve. So my question is. What could cause it to be running fine, run out of gas and bend a valve? My next question, is it worth fixing? I’ve never tore a small engine apart before but think I can do it. But I’m not going to fool with it if anyone thinks the head might be damaged as well.

Did you take care of the GCV160? Meaning routine maintenance? If you do not know what you are doing, send the GCV160 to me and I will have a look at it.

WickedV 77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you take care of the GCV160? Meaning routine maintenance? If you do not know what you are doing, send the GCV160 to me and I will have a look at it.
I checked the oil in it before I used it. Other than that there’s really no maintenance. Where are you located? Unless you are local to me pretty sure I could buy a new pressure washer cheaper than I could ship this one somewhere.

Chris Parman

Threads
I checked the oil in it before I used it. Other than that there’s really no maintenance. Where are you located? Unless you are local to me pretty sure I could buy a new pressure washer cheaper than I could ship this one somewhere.

I'm in Texas

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

As the engine runs out of fuel it will start to run lean
lean running = overheating
Overheating causes the exhaust valve to expand & get stuck in the guide.

hppants

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is interesting. Every time I used my pressure washer, I ran the fuel out of the carb in an effort to limit the possibility of gunking it up during the long periods between use.

Maybe I did it to myself.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well you are doing exactly what I advise all my customers to do and what I do myself.
Never turn an engine off with the key unless I have not quite finished with it.
You are there & I am here so I can not see it but it does not take much of a build up on the fins to cause the engine to overheat.
Running a lottle slow will also caus them to overheat as the air flow is a log function of the speed, not linear.
So an engine running a little slow & a little lean with a little dirt on the fins or fan or part of the blower housing loose or damaged or a bit low on oil or a combination of any of these and you can get overheating.
people mix up good operating practice for water cooled engines when a cool down slow run before shut down is good and air cooled engines where shut down should be done at full speed.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another valve adjustment method.
1.Turn motor over in the PROPER running direction till one valve is fully depressed down. Adjust the opposite UP valve per recommended specs.
2.Rotate motor till the other valve gets depressed. Adjust opposite valve to proper spec.
3.Drink a cold one.

Lots of people get confused on TDC and what stroke. The above method takes out the guesswork. BTW, some manuals say TDC, then rotate till piston is 1/4" into the bore. Check YOUR manual for best info.

slomo

JBtoro

Threads
Cracking open & repairing a GCV engine is not that hard & is actually fun. Here is the first of a complete series on how to do it. If you don't have some of the tools, Autozone, etc. has loaners. That's where I got the ring compressor when I did it.

Chris Parman

Threads
Cracking open & repairing a GCV engine is not that hard & is actually fun. Here is the first of a complete series on how to do it. If you don't have some of the tools, Autozone, etc. has loaners. That's where I got the ring compressor when I did it.

This gentleman's video's on the GCV series engines are very detailed and precise. These videos (upwards of 30 videos) are a must for anyone. I learned a lot from these videos.