Honda GCV Spark Plug Conflict with Troybilt Mower

zeekstern

Threads
  • / Honda GCV Spark Plug Conflict with Troybilt Mower
I have a Troybilt 21" mower that has a Honda GCV160LAS3H engine.

The Honda owners manual says this for the Spark Plug:

NGK-BPR6ES Pressure washer applications
NGK-BPR5ES All other applications

To me that means I should be using the NGK-BPR5ES plug.
Then the Honda manual for the GCV160 engine manual says to use the NGK-BPR6ES.

Which one is correct? I got this mower used, and it had the NGK-BPR6ES plug in it. When I removed the plug, it was really black and burned up pretty bad.

It would be great if someone who had a Troybilt 21" self propelled mower with the GCV160 engine would tell me which plug they are using.

Thanks

Zeek

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Troybilt 21" mower that has a Honda GCV160LAS3H engine.

The Honda owners manual says this for the Spark Plug:

NGK-BPR6ES Pressure washer applications
NGK-BPR5ES All other applications

To me that means I should be using the NGK-BPR5ES plug.

For a mower, use the BPR5ES. Set the gap to 0.7-0.8mm (0.028-0.031 inch).

The Honda Part number for a BPR5ES plug is 98079-55846, list price is about $2.98 or so. Google it to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area:
Find A Honda Dealer

You can clean a plug with a stiff wire brush. If the tip or side electrode are worn, or if there are any cracks in the insulated (body) section, replace the plug. When installing a used plug back into the engine, tighten with a plug wrench or socket fingertight, then another 1/8-1/4 turn to compress the sealing washer. For a new plug, tighten about 1/2 turn. Torque setting is 14 ft-lbs if you have a torque wrench.
pluggapampcleaning_zpsc92c7e5d.jpg

FYI, a loosely-installed plug can get very hot and damage the engine. An overtightened plug can damage the threads.

zeekstern

Threads
For a mower, use the BPR5ES. Set the gap to 0.7-0.8mm (0.028-0.031 inch).

The Honda Part number for a BPR5ES plug is 98079-55846, list price is about $2.98 or so. Google it to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area:
Find A Honda Dealer

You can clean a plug with a stiff wire brush. If the tip or side electrode are worn, or if there are any cracks in the insulated (body) section, replace the plug. When installing a used plug back into the engine, tighten with a plug wrench or socket fingertight, then another 1/8-1/4 turn to compress the sealing washer. For a new plug, tighten about 1/2 turn. Torque setting is 14 ft-lbs if you have a torque wrench.
pluggapampcleaning_zpsc92c7e5d.jpg

FYI, a loosely-installed plug can get very hot and damage the engine. An overtightened plug can damage the threads.

Thank you very much robert@honda. I greatly appreciate it!!
I was able to find the NGK-BPR5ES at AutoZone. The closest Honda dealer is, well, not close at all:))

Zeek