Engine Honda carburetor replaced, but running too fast now

minimor

Threads
My craftsman ez walk 917.377700 had carburetor issues, so I replaced it. I've know nothing, and the part came from sears without any information; when I replaced it and started it, it raced too fast, and I might have put the wire things from the throttle on wrong, but I can't find a diagram that shows how it should look. I switched the wires, but it still raced, and now it won't run at all. Is there a place to find a schematic that I could look at so I could fix it? :confused2:

I know nothing about motors, but I'm thinking it might be missing a wire that controls the speed, though I have been careful when working on it. I need to know if a part is missing, or how it should look. If anyone could help, I could post a picture of how it looks now, so one could say what I might have done wrong, or if something is missing. I would appreciate any information on this , or directions to where I could find information on honda motors or carburetors. Thanks. :smile:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
My craftsman ez walk 917.377700 had carburetor issues, so I replaced it. I've know nothing, and the part came from sears without any information; when I replaced it and started it, it raced too fast, and I might have put the wire things from the throttle on wrong, but I can't find a diagram that shows how it should look. I switched the wires, but it still raced, and now it won't run at all. Is there a place to find a schematic that I could look at so I could fix it? :confused2:

I know nothing about motors, but I'm thinking it might be missing a wire that controls the speed, though I have been careful when working on it. I need to know if a part is missing, or how it should look. If anyone could help, I could post a picture of how it looks now, so one could say what I might have done wrong, or if something is missing. I would appreciate any information on this , or directions to where I could find information on honda motors or carburetors. Thanks. :smile:

Honda make a number of different engines for Sears mowers. Depending on how Sears wanted the engine, it may have a fixed throttle, an adjustable throttle, automatic choke, manual choke, hard to say for sure. Your best bet is to check with Sears to confirm what options your mower has first. Next, on the side of the engine block is the ENGINE serial number, in the form of "GXXX-1234567" and if you'll share that with me, I can get you some basic engine information from Honda.

Does your mower have a throttle control? Does it have a manual choke? This will help with troubleshooting. Also, maybe some clear photos of the control linkage by the carburetor would help us see what you've got going on....

minimor

Threads
Honda make a number of different engines for Sears mowers. Depending on how Sears wanted the engine, it may have a fixed throttle, an adjustable throttle, automatic choke, manual choke, hard to say for sure. Your best bet is to check with Sears to confirm what options your mower has first. Next, on the side of the engine block is the ENGINE serial number, in the form of "GXXX-1234567" and if you'll share that with me, I can get you some basic engine information from Honda.

Does your mower have a throttle control? Does it have a manual choke? This will help with troubleshooting. Also, maybe some clear photos of the control linkage by the carburetor would help us see what you've got going on....

Have attached photos of model and carburetor. It does have a throttle/choke control--I believe they're the same lever.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 49

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have attached photos of model and carburetor. It does have a throttle/choke control--I believe they're the same lever.

Okay, one big thing I can see right off is there is a rod missing that connect the throttle control to the governor arm. The governor is what regulates the engine speed, so sure, no doubt the engine is racing without that rod in place. Here are two drawings showing the details:

gov1_zps4d07f0cd.jpg

gov_zpsad00db6e.jpg

scott47429

Threads
looks like you have the choke rod and the gov. rod both in the choke you need to move the gov. rod over to the throttle to the larger hole with the spring and move the choke rod to the upper hole and all should work good

minimor

Threads
Thank you, robert@honda, for the diagrams. My neighbor thought maybe a wire was missing, but I didn't remember seeing any when I took it apart, so I wasn't sure what was amiss. I will use these and try to fix it. I greatly appreciate your taking the time to look these up and send them._It's grueling hot here today, but I will work on it early tomorrow and get back with the results.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Th._It's grueling hot here today, but I will work on it early tomorrow and get back with the results.

I live in Hotlanta, so I used to think I knew what hot was...then I had to travel to Harlingen....in August :cool:

minimor

Threads
Rather like being a cooked goose, isn't it? (Of course, I've never been officially cooked, but it sure feels like it many days!) Harlingen area is even worse than Houston, and the weather is not pleasant except in winter. But so far the mornings are cool enough to work outside. Thanks again for the info and diagrams.

minimor

Threads
I live in Hotlanta, so I used to think I knew what hot was...then I had to travel to Harlingen....in August :cool:

Life is too busy!

I found that the hookup was indeed wrong, and following the diagrams you put online, I corrected them.

Then when I tried to start it, the starter broke: the spring in it broke. Now it is replaced, and it starts beautifully, but then it stops. Now I have reached the limit of my small experience. It has gas, the new cord and spring aids in a quick and easy start, but I need it to run, of course, so I can cut my now hay field/yard.

I was unsure of the order when I put the carberator in, because an neighbor tried to help and took it apart and took all the gaskets out saying they weren't needed. Also, I couldn't remember where the metal heat deflector went. But I am assuming that since it starts, the order I put it in must have been fairly close, as it does start(Actually, I went by the structure of the holes in the gaskets, but wasn't sure where the rubber looking one went, as opposed to the paper like ones.) Is there a place to find the order of the pieces and the correct placement of the gaskets that go in between the parts?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
This should be pretty close:

gxv160carbandaircleanerparts_zpsadee724d.jpg

Get the two long bolts good and snug (not "gorilla tight") to prevent vacuum leaks around the gaskets...