Honda auto choke

John Davies

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have just bought a new mower with a Honda auto choke. When cold the mower starts ok and as long as you stop and start the mower when in use it is ok providing you do so within a few minutes. If you leave the mower for say 5 minutes the mower will not start. I have looked at the choke plate at this time and found it fully closed. If I manually push the coke plate open it starts first time. I presume that the problem is caused by the choke plate closing too fast, so the engine is still warm and needs the coke plate open to start. The dealer has put a new wax cylinder on but this has made no difference. He said that the wax cylinder was fixed in by some sort of silicone but he has not replaced this. Can anyone please help to sort the problem out. Thankyou, John

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have just bought a new mower with a Honda auto choke. When cold the mower starts ok and as long as you stop and start the mower when in use it is ok providing you do so within a few minutes. If you leave the mower for say 5 minutes the mower will not start. I have looked at the choke plate at this time and found it fully closed. If I manually push the coke plate open it starts first time. I presume that the problem is caused by the choke plate closing too fast, so the engine is still warm and needs the coke plate open to start. The dealer has put a new wax cylinder on but this has made no difference. He said that the wax cylinder was fixed in by some sort of silicone but he has not replaced this. Can anyone please help to sort the problem out. Thankyou, John

Honda says you need to start and run the engine for at least 5 minutes to fully warm up the engine. With a fully-warmed-up engine, you can shut it down, and be confident it will start back up in 1-2 pulls.

This is particularly important if the ambient temp is cool, say below 70 degrees (F) [21 degrees C]

If you start a cold engine, and do not let it fully warm up, then attempt a restart, it will not start. Under these conditions, there is enough heat created by the engine to force the choke to open, but the engine has not yet fully warmed up. So, when you try and restart it, the engine is still too cold to start with no choke, but since the choke is open, it won't start.

Again, always be sure to start and run the engine for at least 5 minutes before letting it shut down and attempting a restart. This allows both the choke and the engine to be fully warmed up and ready to go.

John Davies

Forum Newbie
Threads
Honda says you need to start and run the engine for at least 5 minutes to fully warm up the engine. With a fully-warmed-up engine, you can shut it down, and be confident it will start back up in 1-2 pulls.

This is particularly important if the ambient temp is cool, say below 70 degrees (F) [21 degrees C]

If you start a cold engine, and do not let it fully warm up, then attempt a restart, it will not start. Under these conditions, there is enough heat created by the engine to force the choke to open, but the engine has not yet fully warmed up. So, when you try and restart it, the engine is still too cold to start with no choke, but since the choke is open, it won't start.

Again, always be sure to start and run the engine for at least 5 minutes before letting it shut down and attempting a restart. This allows both the choke and the engine to be fully warmed up and ready to go.

Thanks for your reply Robert, but the mower starts first time from cold and always first start from a warm engine for example if it has run for 25 minutes. If after this period l leave the mower for 10 minutes it will not start. I have checked the choke plate when it will not start and it is fully closed. As the engine is still warm the coke plate should be open or partially closed and I assume this is why it will not start. The choke plate must be closing too quickly ? What do you think ? Thanks for your help. John

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okay, if the choke plate is closed but no-start, something else is not correct. You should have a dealer take a look and let them give you an update.

John Davies

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, if the choke plate is closed but no-start, something else is not correct. You should have a dealer take a look and let them give you an update.

Thanks Robert, I have booked it in with the dealer and will let you know the out come. My engine number is actually on the Honda auto choke bulletin I think the date was 2014.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
My engine number is actually on the Honda auto choke bulletin I think the date was 2014.

So do you have a 100% all-Honda mower, or it is a mower (brand-name) with just a Honda engine?

As you are not in the USA, so I will guess you do not have a USA model mower (or engine)?

I know the Service Bulletin issued by American Honda for USA-market mowers and engines only covered those products, not ones sold outside the USA.

John Davies

Forum Newbie
Threads
So do you have a 100% all-Honda mower, or it is a mower (brand-name) with just a Honda engine?

As you are not in the USA, so I will guess you do not have a USA model mower (or engine)?

I know the Service Bulletin issued by American Honda for USA-market mowers and engines only covered those products, not ones sold outside the USA.

Yes the mower is a mountfield brand with a Honda engine 160cc auto choke.

puffinbille

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have used Honda lawn mowers for over twenty years and I have four of them for my garden work.
I have now stopped using them, they are a nightmare once they are a little bit warm.
They will not start unless left for twenty minutes to cool, not very good when you make a living cutting lawns.
You will never win dose anybody want my Honda's.

gotomow

Threads
I have used Honda lawn mowers for over twenty years and I have four of them for my garden work.
I have now stopped using them, they are a nightmare once they are a little bit warm.
They will not start unless left for twenty minutes to cool, not very good when you make a living cutting lawns.
You will never win dose anybody want my Honda's.
Yup. Before my JD I rigged up a bungee so I could empty the bag without shutting it off