Honda 2216 battery light/not charging

2216Tom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks,

I've picked up a Honda 2216 and it wouldn't start and the battery light was on. I've since charged the battery and it started fine first time but killed the battery pretty quickly after a few starts so I've bought a new battery. After installing the new battery the battery light is still on after a few minutes running. I have checked all the earth connections and they seem fine. Also all the wires seem to be intact and not loose.

I was wondering what the next point of call would be for me to fix it?

Any help greatfully appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the output from the alternator
Should be 12.5 to 14 V DC.
!2.5 can just keep the battery charged and 14 is needed if you have an electric PTO
So volt meter across the battery engine stopped and the same engine running.
If the later is not more than the former the you have charging problem.

In a dark place turn off the mower then remover one of the battery terminal.
If it sparks then you have a short somehwere draining the battery when not in use.

2216Tom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the output from the alternator
Should be 12.5 to 14 V DC.
!2.5 can just keep the battery charged and 14 is needed if you have an electric PTO
So volt meter across the battery engine stopped and the same engine running.
If the later is not more than the former the you have charging problem.

In a dark place turn off the mower then remover one of the battery terminal.
If it sparks then you have a short somehwere draining the battery when not in use.

Thanks I'll give that a go

2216Tom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Measuring DC just with the ignition on it reads 13.3 and when its running it reads 14.5?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well if that was across the battery terminals it is charging quite nicely so there is a fault in the warning light.
No idea how that is connected or triggered so it is time to summons the "Lord of Hondas"

If Robert from Honda does not reply in a day or so give him a PM.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well if that was across the battery terminals it is charging quite nicely so there is a fault in the warning light.
No idea how that is connected or triggered so it is time to summons the "Lord of Hondas"

If Robert from Honda does not reply in a day or so give him a PM.

Can't help with this model, as it is Euro / UK model (probably built in France or Italy) and my tech resources are restricted to USA-made products.