Honda 2113 keeps dying

Ron Beard

Threads
I have H2113HDA Honda lawn tractor that keeps dying when I am mowing. It is very intermittent - it may let me get half done, or it may die every couple of minutes. Usually it will start right up again, sometimes I have to let it sit quite a while before it will start. It has been doing this for a few years, and keeps getting worse. I did pull the plug once when it would not fire up again and by grounding the plug to the block I saw it had no fire. I originally thought the dying was a fuel problem, and have replaced the filter, even replaced the carburetor but problem persisted. So now after buying a carburetor, I figure it must be an electrical problem. I figure it is either the ignition coil or a bad ground. Can anyone tell me where all of the grounds are at on this model so I can check them? Also if I replace the ignition coil (the one on the outside of the flywheel), what spacing do I need to leave between the flywheel and the ignition coil itself? I will be using a feeler gauge to set this. If I am going down the wrong path does anyone else have any advise? Also, I see there are two other coil assemblies which are UNDER the flywheel, but am assuming these are serving some other purpose than ignition, so should not be the problem. By the way, this is a 1999 model, and I would like to keep it running for another 15 or 20 years if I can. Thank you.

briggs

Threads
I have H2113HDA Honda lawn tractor that keeps dying when I am mowing. It is very intermittent - it may let me get half done, or it may die every couple of minutes. Usually it will start right up again, sometimes I have to let it sit quite a while before it will start. It has been doing this for a few years, and keeps getting worse. I did pull the plug once when it would not fire up again and by grounding the plug to the block I saw it had no fire. I originally thought the dying was a fuel problem, and have replaced the filter, even replaced the carburetor but problem persisted. So now after buying a carburetor, I figure it must be an electrical problem. I figure it is either the ignition coil or a bad ground. Can anyone tell me where all of the grounds are at on this model so I can check them? Also if I replace the ignition coil (the one on the outside of the flywheel), what spacing do I need to leave between the flywheel and the ignition coil itself? I will be using a feeler gauge to set this. If I am going down the wrong path does anyone else have any advise? Also, I see there are two other coil assemblies which are UNDER the flywheel, but am assuming these are serving some other purpose than ignition, so should not be the problem. By the way, this is a 1999 model, and I would like to keep it running for another 15 or 20 years if I can. Thank you.

to me it sounds like a coil

bwdbrn1

Threads
I'd have to lean towards it being a bad coil as well, since it's intermittent, will start after some time, and especially since you said you checked it once and it had no spark.

There most likely is an exact air gap that the coil should be set at, but I use a business card myself, and have never had any problems. Just turn the flywheel so that the magnets are away from the coil, put the business card between the flywheel and the legs on the coil, snug the coil up to the card, tighten it down and pull the card out. You should be good to go.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here are some troubleshooting and other details from the shop manual...I'd suspect something in the interlock (usually the PTO switch, seat switch, neutral switch or brake switch) failing intermittently.

h2113troubleshooting_zps0fb87b67.jpg

h2113interlock_zps79c4ac5e.jpg

h2113electricallocations_zps10905315.jpg

The air gap on the ignition coil (FYI, the other coil is used to charge the battery):

h2113ignitioncoilairgap_zps6d7ce269.jpg

cen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I paid over 200 for my 06? 2113 honda harmony for a tune up at the dealer...same thing kept on dying worked fine for a couple of weeks (this is last spring)..then the same thing...shutting down in the middle of a run...later found out it was as simple as a new gas cap...the cap does something,breathes or builds pressure..i dont know...i`m dealing with something else...wont start at all since last fall...put a new battery in...same thing...anyways..good luck