Home Depot/Lowes

motime

Threads
I'm thinking that I once read a comment here about not buying a John Deere from Lowes or Home Depot. Does anyone know if there is some difference in the mower compared to buying it from a JD dealer? Maybe it just had something to do with service, can't remember. Thanks

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm thinking that I once read a comment here about not buying a John Deere from Lowes or Home Depot. Does anyone know if there is some difference in the mower compared to buying it from a JD dealer? Maybe it just had something to do with service, can't remember. Thanks

From what I remember, the mowers are the same and it did have to do with service...if needed.

I say buy the mower wherever you want.

The financial savings vs the risk of needing anything repaired. You decide.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think what they were meaning as to not buying from the big box stores was that the John Deere models sold there are on the low end scale. The dealers sell the same mower but also sell the upscale models as well. You get what you pay for. I bought my D110 from Lowes and I know it is not a high end mower but that's ok as I do not need one for what I do. Bought it from Lowes even though the dealer is just a few miles away from me as the Lowes price was cheaper but I have found the parts for the mower are cheaper at the dealer. The dealer is also the authorized repairman for Lowes in my area so it was a win /win for me.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Read this article, it may help clear thing up about Big Box store mowers

Price Point Mowers

motime

Threads
I think what they were meaning as to not buying from the big box stores was that the John Deere models sold there are on the low end scale. The dealers sell the same mower but also sell the upscale models as well. You get what you pay for. I bought my D110 from Lowes and I know it is not a high end mower but that's ok as I do not need one for what I do. Bought it from Lowes even though the dealer is just a few miles away from me as the Lowes price was cheaper but I have found the parts for the mower are cheaper at the dealer. The dealer is also the authorized repairman for Lowes in my area so it was a win /win for me.

Thanks

javjacob

Threads
All the low end mowers are the same no matter where you buy them. I just wont buy anything from Home Depot since they support (and give lots of money to) a very bad anti American group.

Homer1

Threads
I can't say much for John Deere but I will mention to you something I encountered recently.

I am in the market for a mower myself, and calling around I spoke with a Hustler dealer. Hustler makes a ZTR, the Raptor, they price at 2999, and Lowes now carries them on a test basis. So I phoned the local dealer / service pro and asked him what they had in stock. He was very fast to say the "We do not carry and will not service any Raptor series mower."

You can draw any conclusion for this you want, but what I see is mainly the fact that Lowes is selling them cheaper then the dealer can, they just don't sell them anymore. The first model available was their Fastrack, a mower who's priced considerably higher than the value priced mowers.

Don't get me wrong, the Hustler Raptor would probably be great for many people, and using your Lowe's card could save you another 5%, but good luck finding someone to work on it with a warranty related repair.

On another note, our local Lowes uses one shop exclusively for their Husqvarna mower repairs. Contacts at that store have admitted they "put Lowes purchased repairs at the back of the line" in most cases.

This is the primary reason I did not choose to shop with the big box stores, and instead, build a good long lasting relationship with a smaller dealer that offers repairs. The hope is that if and when I need service I can get it quick, and be up and running.

Oh and apparently John Deere "dealers" offer to provide you with a loaner lawnmower when yours is out of service. According to several things I've been told just this week. This is something you may want to ask your dealer. Also ask them if they could match or get closer to Lowes price.

Spend a little more, get a little more I say.