Hertz car rental is dropping 20,000 EV cars for gas powered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
  • / Hertz car rental is dropping 20,000 EV cars for gas powered.
In Oz 1 of the 4 companies poviding fast pubic chargers has gone bankrupt
another tha just jacked up their price so it is around the same as an Aust ICE engined car, not a yank urban assault vehicle
And another is exiting Aust all together going back to the USA
The last is part government owned and believe it or not makes fast chargers tacked onto the end of a diesel generator .
Sounds silly but much of inland Aust is not on the national grid so they are using these to work out where a grid connection will be needed as getting grid power to all of the popular tourist spots will cost 50 times the states GDP
There is one in Gundagai at the Dog on the Tucker Box truck stop and the local tow truck operator now has a week end drivers to tow all of those fools who believed the BS that they will get 400 km on a charge so can do the 375 km no troubles
The Big Merino at Goulburrn was looking at installing fast chargers but it was going to cost around $ 500,000 to get enough power to run a 10 bay charging station.
I think they have a 2 bay there at the moment but supply restrictions means it takes over 1/2 hour to charge and that is 195 km from Sydney
They did a survey of times for a Sydney <=> Melbourne trip by EV ( 900km) and it works out I do it faster in my 40 year old lPG powered L300 van than just about every Ev on the market in OZ at the moment and that assumes you are the only car at the charger so you get the benefit of the full fast rate .
I get 350 km on a tank but because unreliable supply I always refill at around 200km
If all of the bays are being used at Gundagai then some will take better than 3 hours to charge just enough to get ( 180 km) to Albury, the next nearest E-charge .
Or you have to turn off the expressway and go to all of the towns and recharge there which adds another 200km to the trip .
John sums it up beautifully on this post

What I have been reading lately on battery vehicles regarding accidents is that because of potential liability safety issues with lithium batteries, once the battery encasement has been compromised to a certain extent, the vehicle is “totaled out”. Apparently the vehicle is often fine, but nobody will touch it because of potential fire, insurance, personal liability, etc.

If it takes 3 days to charge that particular vehicle to go 84 kilometers (in the above article), then you might as well get on your bicycle and start pedaling. That is anything but practical or reasonable in day to day activities.

Battery powered vehicles are literally sitting on dealer sales lots because they cannot sell them. Demand simply isn’t there.

This will all become clearer in the next couple of years. I have been reading articles about battery vehicles pros and cons for a few years now. For the record, I am an internal combustion engine guy, and always will be.

mcspeed

Threads
The EV sales pitch of saving money by not using petrol, lower maintenance cost due to fewer parts, zero emissions will save the planet…..all appeal to the emotional side of us humans.

The Covid vaccination pitch took the same approach. Appeal to the emotions without any real basis in fact.

Both are complete failures and fingers crossed, people will get wise to these baseless pitches. Seems to be the case with EV sales trends and vax boost rates.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like we need to get some hay burners and buggies. Then of there is a problem with by products. Some are explosive.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Arkansas is about to implement some stupid tax (again) that's going to bump up the cost of EV charging.

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
Arkansas is about to implement some stupid tax (again) that's going to bump up the cost of EV charging.

Good! The electric peoples need to pay as much taxes as the gas peoples! thumbsup2.gifPic1__GIF.gif

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Every state has a fuel excise tax to fund roads. You bet your azz the EVs need to have an excise tax for road use. I'm all for equality.

Status
Not open for further replies.