Hertz car rental is dropping 20,000 EV cars for gas powered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Hertz car rental is dropping 20,000 EV cars for gas powered.
Think we may see more of this. Said repairs & resale is a killer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The big problem is batteries which is the reason there were only a couple of companies who did EV's from WW II the reincarnation of PT Barnum formed Tesla.
All they are good for is virtue signaling and just like E-mowers, there is a convenience factor to them for certain people in certain circumstances but basically they are a joke that makes pollution far worse than sticking with ICE
OTOH the trend or monster engines needs to be curtailed you really do not need a 10 litre engine to drop the kids off to daycare
I have been driving an 1800cc & a 2400cc van for 40 years and it is quite happy at the legal speed limit
Outside of the USA where Musk offers insurance on Teslas in most states, EV's are now uninsurable
The Luton carpark fire cost is now up to £ 120,000,000 and still climbing so EV's are pulling £ 4,000 to £ 6,000 for annual insurance
Now apart from the Rolls Royce hire cars, I have never paid the equivalent of £ 4,000 for a vehicle , let alone insurance .
EV sales have tanked and every manufacturere is pulling back on production and according to one YT channel some models have better than 2 years worth of sales sitting in cary yards because the dealers can not shift them .

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OTOH the trend or monster engines needs to be curtailed you really do not need a 10 litre engine to drop the kids off to daycare
I have been driving an 1800cc & a 2400cc van for 40 years and it is quite happy at the legal speed limit
You hit on a very serious topic. Most people driving large pickups and SUV have obsolutely no use for them other than the wow factor. Most people that own pickups don't ever haul or tow anything period. So that is the reason that pickup trucks have become the new cars. They have become this large four door, short/no bed with all the creature comforts that never tow or haul even a bag of groceries from the store, because they will have those delivered. So it has really messed up what a truck is supposed to be. you can purchase a good used Freightliner cheaper than you can buy a pickup truck. And I understand that a large portion of the cost of US vehicles is due to the federally mandated safety equipment

Tire pressure monitors because people can't check their tire pressure but have no clue what the light on the dash means.
Backup cameras because people can't use their mirrors to backup and people don't pay attention to vehicles so they will walk into a blind spot and get run over.
Anti-lock brakes because people can't control their brakes on slick conditions and are fine in ideal conditions but in ice, loose rock, whatever no traction conditions they will say I am slipping and then release the brakes without your consent and procede to dump you into the middle of an intersection.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Humans in general are no longer getting smarter because just keep believing all the cons jobs out there and are being dumbed down by society. So glad I made it to retirement where I don't have deal with all lairs if I don't want to.

Yes I still demand a full size pickup bed as I actually use it.

As anti lock brakes they are only good on dry pavement with good tires. Many around here are running on slicks and thinking the anti locks are going to save them.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know of some that have big pickups, that say they feel much safer in them than small cars. I wouldn't disagree with that.
I'm still rolling in my old Chevy Panel Tk. It works for me..

EV BS not my cup 'o tea.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I know of some that have big pickups, that say they feel much safer in them than small cars. I wouldn't disagree with that.
I'm still rolling in my old Chevy Panel Tk. It works for me..

EV BS not my cup 'o tea.
Well it depends upon the type of collision as those 20' tall SUV's & pick ups are very prone to roll over because of the high COG .
On top of that because most are considered trucks they do not need to meet the same safety standards for things like crumple zones as saloon cars doo when T boned, most end up on their sides even if hit by a small saloon.
I drive cab over vans so the view from being higher does make it easier to avoid problems but most Yank Tanks have long bonnets (cause there is a v 10 or V 12 in there ) so that means there is a 50' blind spot in front of the vehicle .

Lawn Addict
Threads
V10 was only in the Ram for a special Edltion, back around 2004. V12 IDK of any..

Read the EV teslas don't charge in the artic temps we got.. Overpriced & useless.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
V10 was only in the Ram for a special Edltion, back around 2004. V12 IDK of any..

Read the EV teslas don't charge in the artic temps we got.. Overpriced & useless.

Tesla's have a battery warmer built into the charging circuit. But you have to set the car to heat up the batteries. It's not automatic.

The news broadcasts and social media post about all these "dead robots" are from people who never read their EV's manual.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A friend has a nissan leaf. She says when it gets really cold out, like now, it charges about 1/3 as fast as normal.

I guess it is time to go out and fire up my average V12 5 ton tank truck that I can't see out in front of and go run down some unsuspecting pedestrians while burning a gallon of gas every mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.