Help understanding this mower I bought: HRX217KVKA

loco-diablo

Threads
  • / Help understanding this mower I bought: HRX217KVKA

I see they still sell a Honda mower, pretty much the same with the smaller motor. Plus it has a lot of reviews so it must be working fine

Honda 21 in. 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower with Auto Choke-HRR216K9VKA - The Home Depot

I believe ALL the HRR variations have steel decks with the 160 engine, while ALL the HRX variations have the composite decks with the 190. I've never heard of an HRX with a 160. It may have been a Home Depot one off exclusive.
Robert could probably confirm based on the serial numbers..

alanwagen

Threads
Being a black motor, that is a replacement motor. So I'm thinking that is NOT the original motor for what ever reason.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
All Honda HRX mowers have been made with the GCV190 engine.

Looks like this HRX frame/deck has been re-powered with a smaller GCV160 engine. While not "factory," it should, depending on the turf and mowing condition, probably provide enough power/torque.

loco-diablo

Threads
Being a black motor, that is a replacement motor. So I'm thinking that is NOT the original motor for what ever reason.

That's weird. I wonder why the seller would lie to the OP about swapping the engine? OP asked him about it and he said that's how he got it.
If the seller bought it from HD as the original owner, he must have been the one who swapped it.

alanwagen

Threads
I don't who or where but he got screwed and tattooed.