Help for a first time blade replacer?

Romore

Threads
How do I make 100% I'm wrenching the correct direction?
Read the manual. 99% are right hand thread, righty tighty lefty loosy, but I have seen mower blades that rotate in the opposite direction.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go down to your DIY shop & rent the biggest impact gun they have o get a cut off wheel on your angle grinder and chop the head off .
If it is a bolt, cut an X in the head then try your wrench again if no joy put a cold chisel in the groves and give it a good smack.
Be careful if using a thin wheel as the head will tend to bend in from the pressure on it and pinch the blade .
Then down to your friendly Nut & bolt man for new grade 8 bolts.

Mr. Mower

Threads
NOTE: For each blades large nut/bolt....to un-thread (take off) turn each large nut/bolt LEFT (counter clock wise)......to thread (back on) turn the large nut/bolt RIGHT (clock wise).

1.) Use an impact drill (setting in Reverse) to "only remove" the large nut/bolt for each blade one at a time.

2.) One at a time, once each blade is removed and replaced with the new blade "hand thread" the large nut/bolt back on hand tight only (if you want, apply a bit of "anti-seize" to the threads. This helps when removing the bolt/large nut the next time).

3.) Once the large nut/bolt is hand tighten, then use a torque wrench to apply the specific torque value as listed in your manual, for each blade's large nut/bolt/

4.) Then your done and that's it.

Last edited:

logert gogert

Threads
you could try one of your local auto parts stores "loan a tool system" where they loan you a tool, and you must give it back or else you pay for it.
i did it once, but i frogot wich one it was, it was either autozone, o'reileys, or pep boys.

Mr. Mower

Threads
I had purchased the combo package deal, Impact drill and regular drill set with batteries, that Ridgid had offered a few years ago. Really have got my money's worth from it.

ridgid-power-tool-combo-kits-r96021-64_1000.jpg

I was so impressed with it that later on I also ended up buying Ridgid's Octane High Impact Drill as well!
ridgid-impact-drivers-r86037n-64_1000.jpg

Also Lowe's has a pretty good beam style torque wrench for $30.00 bucks!

1002330568_14676275.jpg

Last edited:

logert gogert

Threads
I had purchased the combo package deal, Impact drill and regular drill set with batteries, that Ridgid had offered a few years ago. Really have got my money's worth from it.

View attachment 52049

I was so impressed with it that later on I also ended up buying Ridgid's Octane High Impact Drill as well!
View attachment 52050

Also Lowe's has a pretty good beam style torque wrench for $30.00 bucks!

View attachment 52051
aaaaa, yes, my dad has that same drill set, a very powerful and torquey drill, i dont use his very often cause i have my own, but when i do i love that thing

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
How do I make 100% I'm wrenching the correct direction?
I haven't seen any blade bolts that weren't right hand threads, meaning you tighten them by turning clockwise as you face the bolt. To loosen, turn them counter clockwise.

Romore

Threads
How many young people even know what clockwise and counter clockwise mean? They have never seen a sweep hand clock lol

logert gogert

Threads
How many young people even know what clockwise and counter clockwise mean? They have never seen a sweep hand clock lol
countercheck wise is a spinning circle spinning to the left, clockwise is a spinning circle going to the right
btw im 14yr XD

qmark

Threads
Take it off, sharpen or replace, put it on, snug it up, go.