Hello - New to Forum

trailjammer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello! My son and I put together this tractor this past weekend. We are not sure what we want to do with it just yet.

trailjammer-albums-anthony-s-puller-picture1244-tractor-3-20-11-001.jpg

How can we change the pulleys to make it go faster? Say 20mph or so

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello! My son and I put together this tractor this past weekend. We are not sure what we want to do with it just yet.

How can we change the pulleys to make it go faster? Say 20mph or so

Looks like your son has thought of something to do with it... muddin ....
I'm not sure I would want to be on it at 20MPH...

Welcome to a rather fun forum... and starting out with a picture is a great start!! :smile:KennyV

trailjammer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Kenny! Here's another..

trailjammer-albums-anthony-s-puller-picture1245-tractor-3-20-11-002.jpg

We'd like to throw a bit more roost thru the mud.

We started with two throw away tractors from friends and family...made one out of two so to speak:thumbsup: We put the 14hp twin into the better chassis along with the electronics & gas tank. The hood had to be remounted with taller brackets and the sides cut out to fit over the bigger motor. It was a good weekend project...my son got a lot out of it.

I know if I change the pulley diameter over the transmission it will change the running speeds but I'm not sure to go larger or smaller.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome!

WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE BAR CLEATS?!?!?!?!?:eek:

Smaller final drive, larger engine pulley, whichever. The former is easier to do.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
But, you're likely to tear the tranny up quick when you do it. Or tear out the keyways in the axles.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
A couple other things to keep in mind:

I notice the title of your album is 'Anthony's Puller'. If you change the ratio (pulley size) for speed, you'll lose power, and it wont pull for squat.

Also, from the kingpins, to the stamped front axle, to the wheel bearings, to the front tires to the brake in the tranny, nothing is designed for that kind of speed. Even 20MPH.

Some things to keep in mind. Don't go too extreme, or somebody might get hurt.

Yes, I posted 3 times in a row. So sue me....:laughing:

trailjammer

Forum Newbie
Threads
twall --> thanks for the input

We are defintely tuned into the stay safe mentality. Any further mods would mean helmets and such.

After doing some research it doesn't look like we would be too competitive in the pulling unless they have special classes for lawn style 'belt driven' tractors.

The rear tires came off the shelf at Tractor Supply. They also have a great selection of pulleys & belts! We aslo have a couple of local bone yards to sift thru for great used stuff as well.

I guess the main reason for this build is to spend time with my 15 year old son. The pulling & mudding are secondary for me.

I'd like to research the carburation on the briggs & stratton 14hp opposing twin cylinder motors. It may be an easy way to increase the hp.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
twall --> thanks for the input

We are defintely tuned into the stay safe mentality. Any further mods would mean helmets and such.

After doing some research it doesn't look like we would be too competitive in the pulling unless they have special classes for lawn style 'belt driven' tractors.

The rear tires came off the shelf at Tractor Supply. They also have a great selection of pulleys & belts! We aslo have a couple of local bone yards to sift thru for great used stuff as well.

I guess the main reason for this build is to spend time with my 15 year old son. The pulling & mudding are secondary for me.

I'd like to research the carburation on the briggs & stratton 14hp opposing twin cylinder motors. It may be an easy way to increase the hp.

That's always a good enough reason!

The carburation is pretty well searched out at B&S. Any fiddling will make it rich, and unreliable, unless you plan on doing heavy engine mods, too.