Hello and questions for the entrepreneurs

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use a handheld I find it is easier to get around things. And no straps to adjust if more than one person is going to use it.
You will find out that some on here believe in overkill on blowers and trimmers. If all your doing is blowing off the driveway, walkways , and the decks then why get a blower that will move a car.
Same thing with a trimmer the only reason to have the biggest is if your cutting thick weeds or small trees or just to say you have it.
Then comes what type of service are you going to provide? This will determine what type of mowers you will use.
For my residential yards I ONLY use snapper push mowers and cut a checker board pattern.
And handle a 100% of the yard and charge a lot of $.

On my bank owned homes I use a 46 riding mower. ( cheaper than a ZTR and less parts to break ) cut, edge, trim, blow and leave at $35 each at 20 a day. Have got to where I sub must of them out for $25 to the mow and go guys with the ZTR.

You sound like a man that takes a lot of pride in your own yard. I don't think you would be happy doing the $20 yards just mowing.
I enjoy doing the high end homes where I have total control of the entire yard and they don't mind paying to have yard of the month.
If you take pride and love to show off your skills than this is the way to go.

I do not do contracts at all your work should keep them year after year not a contract.

Anyone can cut grass but it takes skill to groom grass

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Threads
What size leafblower are you looking for? a handheald? backpack? Like fanatic said, echo and stihl are great blowers. i havent used a bad stihl leaf blower yet. Not sure what one but one of the echo backpack blowers is pretty awesome too. but if your looking for light duty stuff like blowing grass or small amounts of leafs this little weedeater i have is awesome for that. Shop Weed Eater 25cc 2-Cycle Light-Duty Gas Blower at Lowes.com

I saw that blower on Amazon the other day and I couldn't belive how cheap it was! Not saying it's good quality, but for just blowing off a driveway, almost anything will work!

I agree with what Carscw said. Let your work be your advertising (but still use other advertising methods)!

mikosiko

Threads
I use a handheld I find it is easier to get around things. And no straps to adjust if more than one person is going to use it.
You will find out that some on here believe in overkill on blowers and trimmers. If all your doing is blowing off the driveway, walkways , and the decks then why get a blower that will move a car.
Same thing with a trimmer the only reason to have the biggest is if your cutting thick weeds or small trees or just to say you have it.
Then comes what type of service are you going to provide? This will determine what type of mowers you will use.
For my residential yards I ONLY use snapper push mowers and cut a checker board pattern.
And handle a 100% of the yard and charge a lot of $.

On my bank owned homes I use a 46 riding mower. ( cheaper than a ZTR and less parts to break ) cut, edge, trim, blow and leave at $35 each at 20 a day. Have got to where I sub must of them out for $25 to the mow and go guys with the ZTR.

You sound like a man that takes a lot of pride in your own yard. I don't think you would be happy doing the $20 yards just mowing.
I enjoy doing the high end homes where I have total control of the entire yard and they don't mind paying to have yard of the month.
If you take pride and love to show off your skills than this is the way to go.

I do not do contracts at all your work should keep them year after year not a contract.

Anyone can cut grass but it takes skill to groom grass

Thanks for the advice and recommendations. Indeed my attention to detail and strong work ethic are my qualities and I intend to get the customer with honest straight forward asking for the business and keeping them with the results.
Yeah, I am not wanting to overspend yet I am a stickler for quality, not really a look at my machine kind though. Most people I have spoke with do not endorse Ryobi trimmers but I have had nothing but great results with them. I will look at all suggestions very carefully running through my normal discrimination process. Word of experience from others is part of it.

I saw that blower on Amazon the other day and I couldn't belive how cheap it was! Not saying it's good quality, but for just blowing off a driveway, almost anything will work!

I agree with what Carscw said. Let your work be your advertising (but still use other advertising methods)!

Indeed!!!

Last edited:
Threads
mikosiko: I just wanted to tell you that you put part of your response into my quote (see picture). If you do it soon you can edit it and take it out. :smile:
LawnMowerForum Post.jpg

metz12

Threads

Ya, this thing is really nice for the size and the price. Electric blowers dont even compete with it. I did a HUGE leaf job a few weeks ago. it was about a half acre by half acre (working with my friend and it wasnt a job i got it was a job his uncle called me for) with about a foot of leaves. and it kept right up with his stihl br430. of course it didnt preform as well and i had to so a little more work but it did really well for a little toy like that!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I like ryobi trimmers. They are easy to start and feel good in my hands.

I always say don't buy more than what you need.
As far as trimmers and blowers I buy what my wife likes to use. She loves the $69.00 trimmer from walmart it is light and easy for her to use the bad part is I have to buy one every year.
The only things I spend the big $ on is my push mowers and blades. I sharping my blades 3 times then sell them at half price to a buddy.

Just use what feels good in your hands
What people don't get about Home Depot is when your ryobi breaks bring it back and get a new one.

mikosiko

Threads
I like ryobi trimmers. They are easy to start and feel good in my hands.

I always say don't buy more than what you need.
As far as trimmers and blowers I buy what my wife likes to use. She loves the $69.00 trimmer from walmart it is light and easy for her to use the bad part is I have to buy one every year.
The only things I spend the big $ on is my push mowers and blades. I sharping my blades 3 times then sell them at half price to a buddy.

Just use what feels good in your hands
What people don't get about Home Depot is when your ryobi breaks bring it back and get a new one.

Great advice and something I certainly will follow, I will not get into debt, yet I will save and buy what I reasonably need. Right now my job makes me $25 bucks and hour and full buffet of benefits. Great things I know but this will allow me to start doing what I have always wanted to. I guess my current job is a means to an end..lol... You all will get to see this mid-life foolstart and grow his business from 6 pence to who knows maybe a Million...lol.... That is stretching it a bit but I wont deny the oportunity for sure. ....

So I have the mower, trimmer and a 03 dodge 1500 quad cab ready to haul... I need a blower, hangars, postcards, website. I need to keep diggin through on completing my plan in case somewhere I get very busy and lose focus at key growing moments.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Great advice and something I certainly will follow, I will not get into debt, yet I will save and buy what I reasonably need. Right now my job makes me $25 bucks and hour and full buffet of benefits. Great things I know but this will allow me to start doing what I have always wanted to. I guess my current job is a means to an end..lol... You all will get to see this mid-life foolstart and grow his business from 6 pence to who knows maybe a Million...lol.... That is stretching it a bit but I wont deny the oportunity for sure. ....

So I have the mower, trimmer and a 03 dodge 1500 quad cab ready to haul... I need a blower, hangars, postcards, website. I need to keep diggin through on completing my plan in case somewhere I get very busy and lose focus at key growing moments.

Has anyone mentioned you need a License, Insurance, maybe someone to do the book keeping to record your equipment expenses, Gas, oil, vehicle mileage etc. etc. so you can pay your taxes at then end of the year without being audited.:frown:

Now lets look at the reality of what you're trying to do, you have a Honda push mower, Ryobi gas trimmer/edger and you're going to invest in the blower and you're going to have this stuff in the back of you're 03 pickup and you're going to compete with a guy or business that has a F-350 cc a twenty foot trailer with two or three ZTR and all high end hand held equipment and backpack blowers etc. etc.:smile:

Now this post may sound a little sarcastic but the reality is there is a lot more to the lawn care business than what's being told here. What you're trying to do with the equipment you are trying to do it with will not work very long, I've been there done that. Again I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just telling the truth and 10 or 12 hours a day in the field then maybe another couple spent on equipment maintenance isn't my idea of a success.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric said:
Has anyone mentioned you need a License, Insurance, maybe someone to do the book keeping to record your equipment expenses, Gas, oil, vehicle mileage etc. etc. so you can pay your taxes at then end of the year without being audited.:frown:

Now lets look at the reality of what you're trying to do, you have a Honda push mower, Ryobi gas trimmer/edger and you're going to invest in the blower and you're going to have this stuff in the back of you're 03 pickup and you're going to compete with a guy or business that has a F-350 cc a twenty foot trailer with two or three ZTR and all high end hand held equipment and backpack blowers etc. etc.:smile:

So if you don't have a big truck and trailer and all the high end tools then you will never make it or last long? I guess my 30 plus years is not long.

Now this post may sound a little sarcastic but the reality is there is a lot more to the lawn care business than what's being told here. What you're trying to do with the equipment you are trying to do it with will not work very long, I've been there done that. Again I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just telling the truth and 10 or 12 hours a day in the field then maybe another couple spent on equipment maintenance isn't my idea of a success.

You should really teach a class on this. In my 50 years of life your the only one that knows it all and the only one that does everything the right way.
Not trying to be sarcastic