Hello and questions for the entrepreneurs

mikosiko

Threads
New here and it looks like a great forum. I am looking to begin a business soon. Got a name reserved and gonna start slow, beat a path, learn alot, and try to make a life. Keep in mind this is going to be a complete change of careers, I hope to eventually change from a career I have had for over 15 years.... So there forays into my questions for the Lawn business owners. Who were you before the lawn care business and what do you feel are the top 3 considerations or talents to have to be successful in terms of making a good life out it. Thanks

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
New here and it looks like a great forum. I am looking to begin a business soon. Got a name reserved and gonna start slow, beat a path, learn alot, and try to make a life. Keep in mind this is going to be a complete change of careers, I hope to eventually change from a career I have had for over 15 years.... So there forays into my questions for the Lawn business owners. Who were you before the lawn care business and what do you feel are the top 3 considerations or talents to have to be successful in terms of making a good life out it. Thanks

The top 3 considerations I would think would be Location, Start up money and Time, but to be successful in terms of making a good life or a good living out of it would depend on what you consider to be good living.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
mikosiko said:

Before I started my own lawn care business I was a superintendent at a golf course country club.
The top 3 things in my opinion.
1 you MUST enjoy what you are doing.
2 take a lot of pride in your work try and do a better job than any one else.
3 you must be open to learn and try new ways of doing things. There is no right or wrong ways to do things just different ways.

I enjoy doing this so much my wife gets mad when we going some where and I point out a nice yard. I have even stopped and talked to a home owner just to tell them there yard is nice.

Get a couple yards in a nighborhood and make them stand out. I put 10-10-10 on every yard once a month at no extra charge it keeps the grass green and growing so I get to cut every week not every other week.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Threads
Before I started my own lawn care business I was a superintendent at a golf course country club.
The top 3 things in my opinion.
1 you MUST enjoy what you are doing.
2 take a lot of pride in your work try and do a better job than any one else.
3 you must be open to learn and try new ways of doing things. There is no right or wrong ways to do things just different ways.

I enjoy doing this so much my wife gets mad when we going some where and I point out a nice yard. I have even stopped and talked to a home owner just to tell them there yard is nice.

Get a couple yards in a nighborhood and make them stand out. I put 10-10-10 on every yard once a month at no extra charge it keeps the grass green and growing so I get to cut every week not every other week.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

WELCOME TO LMF!
I agree 100% with the "top 3 things" list Carscw said above. :thumbsup:

I also notice the really nice lawns and point them out to people! :biggrin:

mikosiko

Threads
Thanks for the replies. I am starting small, nothing more than a '12 Honda 216VYA, Ryobi gas trimmer/edger. Going to invest in the blower (could use recommendations), and investing into all the things needed for licensing for starting a business and eventually doing lawn treatments. I use to do lawn treatments for another business a lifetime ago. My marketing so far will be door to door with postcards and hangars focusing mostly on selling myself and then my quality work. I will carry business cards everywhere I go. Then getting on the web. There are 1 million people here and little over 100 lawn and landscape companies. This is my home and I have fairly signifigant family pressence here with a good reputation. Most of which are business owners themselves. I have a goal to build slow but I would like to get to $100,000.00 in revenue with a 70%-90% profit margin in 2 years. As far as time available I know it will probably be my biggest challenge but I am committed to always having time to make money, my current job is a night job so that might be a little help.... I moved into my home 10 years ago and completely installed a lawn that was nothing but crabgrass, goosegrass, dollarweed, henbit, chickweed and nutsedge...lol...I have boasted 2nd place in the neighborhood to a guy that ran a very successful landscaping company. He also had heavy ornamentals, quite a sight indeed, but I had no ornamentals and was second to him. I have always enjoyed being complimented on my lawn and that certainly is the payoff for the work. But although it has had its challenges it was still fun, I think waiting for time to pass to see the results of something I was testing in treatments was the most irritating thing. Now doing it for myself I percieve is far different from doing professionally for a customer and think that would be my only stress right off. Sorry this is a novel but lots to say on the onset... Thanks for all suggestions and advice it is all very appreciated.

mikosiko

Threads
Great checking them out now... I have found an used Echo for $85.00.... While checking it out what do I look for besides just if it runs?

metz12

Threads
Thanks for the replies. I am starting small, nothing more than a '12 Honda 216VYA, Ryobi gas trimmer/edger. Going to invest in the blower (could use recommendations), and investing into all the things needed for licensing for starting a business and eventually doing lawn treatments. I use to do lawn treatments for another business a lifetime ago. My marketing so far will be door to door with postcards and hangars focusing mostly on selling myself and then my quality work. I will carry business cards everywhere I go. Then getting on the web. There are 1 million people here and little over 100 lawn and landscape companies. This is my home and I have fairly signifigant family pressence here with a good reputation. Most of which are business owners themselves. I have a goal to build slow but I would like to get to $100,000.00 in revenue with a 70%-90% profit margin in 2 years. As far as time available I know it will probably be my biggest challenge but I am committed to always having time to make money, my current job is a night job so that might be a little help.... I moved into my home 10 years ago and completely installed a lawn that was nothing but crabgrass, goosegrass, dollarweed, henbit, chickweed and nutsedge...lol...I have boasted 2nd place in the neighborhood to a guy that ran a very successful landscaping company. He also had heavy ornamentals, quite a sight indeed, but I had no ornamentals and was second to him. I have always enjoyed being complimented on my lawn and that certainly is the payoff for the work. But although it has had its challenges it was still fun, I think waiting for time to pass to see the results of something I was testing in treatments was the most irritating thing. Now doing it for myself I percieve is far different from doing professionally for a customer and think that would be my only stress right off. Sorry this is a novel but lots to say on the onset... Thanks for all suggestions and advice it is all very appreciated.

What size leafblower are you looking for? a handheald? backpack? Like fanatic said, echo and stihl are great blowers. i havent used a bad stihl leaf blower yet. Not sure what one but one of the echo backpack blowers is pretty awesome too. but if your looking for light duty stuff like blowing grass or small amounts of leafs this little weedeater i have is awesome for that. Shop Weed Eater 25cc 2-Cycle Light-Duty Gas Blower at Lowes.com

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Great checking them out now... I have found an used Echo for $85.00.... While checking it out what do I look for besides just if it runs?

What model is it? How old? Is it Hand Held or Backpack, just because it runs doesn't mean it's worth $85.

mikosiko

Threads
What size leafblower are you looking for? a handheald? backpack? Like fanatic said, echo and stihl are great blowers. i havent used a bad stihl leaf blower yet. Not sure what one but one of the echo backpack blowers is pretty awesome too. but if your looking for light duty stuff like blowing grass or small amounts of leafs this little weedeater i have is awesome for that. Shop Weed Eater 25cc 2-Cycle Light-Duty Gas Blower at Lowes.com

Probably a backpack medium level to handle grass clippings to medium leaf jobs...

What model is it? How old? Is it Hand Held or Backpack, just because it runs doesn't mean it's worth $85

I'll check that out.. Thanks