Repairs Harmony 2113 HDA riding mower question

Dsunz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, and thanks for any help. I have a ride on model 2113. It's a 2000 which I have owned for 10 years. It started billowing smoke about a month ago and now will not fire even with starting fluid (I know how everyone hates starting fluid). I replaced the head gasket and bought a new battery and reconditioned the starter (and it cranks the hell out of the lifeless engine), took apart the carb, cleaned thoroughly and replaced gaskets. I checked the plug wire with a multimeter and it seems fine, adjusted/gapped the valves and starter coil to specs. After taking the flywheel off (and that is a pain), I saw the coils as in the attached picture. Some of the material has come off the one in the bottom of the pic. Can this be throwing off the timing or otherwise be causing the problem? I don't want to throw $50 at that just to see. Any help would be appreciated. It's not a safety switch because it turns over and fire is going to the plug. There is no combustion, however. The plug is good, I checked it and even bought a new one just in case. I'm thinking it is bad timing or the carb is bad despite cleaning it thoroughly (soaked in carb fluid, cleaned ports, etc.) Other than buy a new carb and see if that works I don't know what to do at this point.

Attachments

• lawnmower.1.jpg
    lawnmower.1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 15

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
As you've had the head off and fitted a new head gasket, I'd first confirm you are getting good compression. A leak-down test would do even more to tell you all the internals (valves, etc.) are properly set and working okay. I'd be 100% sure all the internals are correct (valve clearances, ignition timing, etc.) before throwing $ at a new carb.

Spark is good, and for the moment, let's say fuel is properly entering the cylinder. So with spark and fuel, you need only compression to get the engine to start.

FYI, the two coils in the image are for battery charging and headlight power. The battery charge coil has a single wire (white) while the light coil should have a Green and Pink wire that run to the headlights.

The ignition coil has the spark plug wire connected to it.

Dsunz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks very much, Robert. I will reassemble and do the leak down test. First I'm going to take it all the way down and check the timing and make sure nothing is broken/bent down in the block. I appreciate your help and taking the time to respond.