GT52LSI Blinking blade switch light

Steeb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a GT52XLSI riding mower. I’ve gotten an error on the ignition switch, the blade switch symbol blinking, which won’t allow me to run the PTO/mower deck. To try and fix, Ive had the Smart Switch replaced, new PTO clutch, replaced PTO switch, and all safety switches. The wiring harness appears fine, with no shorts. Both myself and a local small engine mechanic are stumped

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try disconnecting & removing negative cable away from battery for 15 minutes so computer can reset itself. Let us know if this helps, thanks, Mark
See Operators Manual page 27, year & serial number. Did you burnish new PTO clutch? Instructions below for burnishing new clutch. Also check air gap 3 places in new PTO clutch windows.https://www.google.com/search?q=HOW+TO+ADJUST+AIR+GAP+AT+PTO+CLUTCH&oq=HOW+TO+ADJUST+AIR+GAP+AT+PTO+CLUTCH&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0i22i30j0i390l2.28903j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Lastly disconnect red positive cable from battery & make sure red cable is away completely, then run a jumper wire from negative post on battery to red positive cable for 15-30 seconds, should reset computer. Attach red positive cable to battery & give it a try. I read this procedure on Ford F150 you tube technical advise after dealer could not get my engine light to go out. My nephews wife had Ford engine light stay on for over 2 years until this past winter when they dropped by & my son did above procedure & light went out. My nephew was taken aback after he put key in & started engine & light was out, said he had taken vehicle to several shops including dealer to no avail. I did inform my Service Mgr. at dealership as to procedure which he was unaware of, said laptops should reset engine light after being repaired but software needed to be upgraded.

Let us know how it goes Steeb, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try disconnecting & removing negative cable away from battery for 15 minutes so computer can reset itself. Let us know if this helps, thanks, Mark
Computer? As you serious? On a freaking lawn mower/tractor? WOW!! No wonder those cost so much. Do you get Facebook on that thing? Can you Zoom the wife, telling her you will be late for dinner? "Honey I'm cutting the grass right now" LOL. Did you file your tax return on that thing? I'm stunned. o_O

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well an engine management chip might be a better description
And yes it is coming.
What do you think Tiger Eye is ?
Now days you could build a computer more powerful than the ones NASA used to put a man on the moon into the back of an hour meter, and that is what they are doing.

Steeb

Forum Newbie
Threads

Tried that, didn’t work.

Wiz222

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you ever resolve the issue. I have a GT48XLSi with the same symptom plus another. While using it, it frequently stalls, usually not long enough to kill the engine but sometimes it does. I've seen the green light on the start switch going off and on.

hillsmi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tried that, didn’t work.
Did you ever resolve this issue? Mine just started doing it tonight.
The ONLY thing different from mowing tonight, compared to the last 3 years is that the grass was wet. I was going VERY SLOW, and at full power.
Wondering if it has something to do with a buildup of grass under the deck?
Thanks

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to the wonderful world of sh.... er.. stuff we don't need on a lawn mower. Electronics out of china are relatively cheap and the marketing dick heads love to put as many useless bells and whistles on and the new age engineers are into the "cool factor". When it works it is cool but when it doesn't ain't we just having fun now?

When working on these kind of things you can divide it into 4 parts. Power, inputs, control and outputs. Figuring out which one has the issue is the fun part. Worst thing you can do is guess at it. Tech must troubleshoot it logically. Make sure everything is powered properly. Test all of the inputs. Switches, thermistors, potentiometers, hall effect transistors and anything else that provides input or feedback to the control module. Without a manual how to test and what values are good or bad may be just a little difficult. Then you test the outputs. Things like pulse width modulated solenoids, electronic ignitions, relays and whatever else. After you eliminate all the inputs and outputs is the black box control module the problem? Are there any diagnostics? And if it is intermittent good luck.

I used to work with a product developement team and you would not believe the absolutely stupid $h!t the marketing wanks would want added to a machine. Then the young engineers would add all kinds of complicated circuits because they could. They didn't like the word "why".

Judique Flyer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a GT52XLSi doing this now, well for the last few months. I finally found the wires that run from the PTO switch to the Ignition are actually loose inside the terminal connector block. I popped the smart ignition out with the wiring attached, and then started the mower, turned on the PTO switch and began moving each of the wires where they enter the terminal block, and the PTO would engage and disengage as I moved the wires.
If this is your issue, there's only 2 solutions I know of, buy and install a new wiring harness, or get a set of terminal extractors and disassemble the block and reattach the wires to their pins and put it back together. The latter is much cheaper, but you better have patience, I'm currently waiting for my extractor set to arrive.