GT262 will not turn over

gwbrehm

Threads
I have an early John Deere gt262, ser # 015314 that was running fine. I turned off the switch and when I went to restart it wont do anything. I have voltage on all three solenoid posts when the key is turned on and it increases when turned to start but nothing happens. I switched solenoid out with another working solenoid and same results. I can only find 2 safety switches, transmission and seat, and have jumped both of those. When i turn on ignition the dash lights come on dim. I disconnected the PTO switch and the dash lights get brighter, not sure why. Also both fuses are good. I'm stumped, thinking it is possibly Pto switch or ignition switch. Any ideas would be appreciated

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is the battery voltage with the key off, with the key on, and when in the start position.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Voltage ?

Increases ?

You should have battery voltage > 12 .5 v at one cable end, nothing any where else till you turn the key when you should get battery voltage at the spade terminal which closes the solenoid to give you battery voltage at the starter cable and cause the starter to crank.

If you have 12.5 at te starter cable & the starter is not ranking the engine then either the mounting bolts are loose so you are not getting a good ground connection or the starter is toast.
Not a young machine so time for new brushes in the starter at least.

gwbrehm

Threads
voltage of battery is 12.47. I removed the starter and had it tested, it worked perfectly. battery connections are tight. The dash lights with the PTO switch connected are dim and get brighter when disconnected.

gwbrehm

Threads
Battery voltage at rest 12.5
Battery Voltage with key on 12.5
Battery voltage in start position 12.5
Voltage at solenoid on lead and starter side is 8.5 volts with key on and 11.9 with key turned to start position

But no click and nothing happens

gwbrehm

Threads
I actually replaced the solenoid and it did same thing, then i removed the starter and solenoid and took it to a rebuilder to have it tested. It worked perfectly. It has a kawasaki engine and the solenoid is mounted to the starter.

AVB

Threads
Without a wiring diagram to look at it is going to be hard to troubleshoot..But the solenoid trigger terminal should have no voltage on it except in the start position. Don't know if JD is using a remote starter relay or not without the diagram.

gwbrehm

Threads
I thought so also, that is why I was thinking it was the ignition switch or PTO switch

AVB

Threads
Well since no one else willing to download the SM, I did.

Starting circuit consists of the PTO switch (off), neutral safety switch (engaged by the brake pedal being depressed), and the ignition switch (in start position)

If my understanding of the schematic is correct you appear to have a bad ground on connector X4 pin 4 of the A2 Interlock Module (circuit board with the relays and fuses). This would explain why there is a voltage on the PUR/WHT wire at the starter solenoid in run position of the ignition switch.

Here is a question. Where are you testing the voltage ground wise? At the battery or the engine? As it can be a bad frame ground point. Loose engine bolts or badly corroded battery cable are a couple examples.