GT262 will not turn over

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Look at the wiring diagram.
The S terminal on the starter gets is power via the key switch from terminal S2 on the key switch ( they are generally numbered )
S2 is powered from S1
S1 is powered from the brake switch
The brake switch gets it's power from the PTO switch and the PTO switch gets it's power from the Key switch via the fuse.
The most likely cause is a wire that is broken just at the terminal.
I trouble shoot by bypassing each of the switches, one at a time by pulling the plug and jumping across the plug with short wires fitted with a spade at each end.
It is a slow process but eventually the culprit will reveal itself

AVB

Threads
On the LX188 JD has a different PN so I tend to say it setup differently. Plus I have only the LX186 wiring diagram on hand but on it the switch assembly appear to be same except for missing diode.

But it does sounds like you are more likely chasing a bad connection problem. You going need to start tracing for a voltage drop between wiring points as it sound like you a have a connector that has a high internal resistance and when you was cleaning the connection it made a monetary contact allowing you to start the engine, This one of those hard to find gremlins that causes us techs to spend a lot time hunting down the culprit.

But either way are making a little progress forward just that it painfully hair pulling slow. I have been there before a lot times.

gwbrehm

Threads
Now for some reason when it sits a while it will start, but if you turn it off it will not start again unless you wait several hours. Then it starts again, but only once, then you have to wait again. Also the Lx188 switch is different

gwbrehm

Threads
I will try, but the wiring diagrams look like greek to me

gwbrehm

Threads
I tested voltage on ignition switch, s1 had 13V and when turned to start S2 only had 6.5v. I assume that means a bad contact inside the switch?

gwbrehm

Threads
Probably not, because s1 voltage drops to 6.5 also when in start mode

gwbrehm

Threads
Found it!!!! One of the leads on the neutral switch plug. I had it jumped for testing but checking it for a voltage drop i noticed it was getting very warm. Twisted the wire and now starts everytime. Thank you for all your help. I would have just thrown parts at it not knowing it was a bad connection. I kept thinking it was a bad ignition switch, which would have been a $200.00 mistake

AVB

Threads
Glad you found it. Now you can see how a single bad connection really cause the DYIer to buy a lot of unnecessary parts replacing perfectly good ones and still have the same problem. NOw when you get a chance repair that twisted wire connection properly or you will have the same problem again later.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check all of your ground wires & connections by hand making sure they are tight & secure & free from rust & corrosion.

gwbrehm

Threads
Took the plug apart, cleaned it, re-crimped wires and applied dilectric grease. I have test started it over a dozen times and no issues. Weird that this particular mower has positive voltage to all the kill switches most i have dealt with in the past were grounding switches. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction and saving a couple bucks.