Grease zerts you can't get to

bobbysr

Threads
I have a 2014 729T. It has 2 pillow block bearings ( 2 zerks) on the drive shaft.

MBDiagMan

Threads
Those carrier bearing fittings are accessible from underneath. It's a pain to get at 'em, but as an earlier poster wisely advised, don't let them go. The carrier bearings are much harder to replace than they are to grease.

cambre

Threads
So you are saying that you have 3 zerk fittings on your drive shaft? What year is your mower?

I bought the mower in October of 2011. The manual doesn't show this bearing as needed to be lubed but it has a zert. I know a lot of bearings are sealed at the factory and are not suppose to need greasing but why put a zert on it and not say anything about it? I am going to call grasshopper tomorrow. Thanks bobbysr for the interest and help.

cambre

Threads
Those carrier bearing fittings are accessible from underneath. It's a pain to get at 'em, but as an earlier poster wisely advised, don't let them go. The carrier bearings are much harder to replace than they are to grease.

I agree. Thanks

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the factory parts bin was still full of zerk- fitted ?housings? they would continue to use them even with sealed bearings until used up, I think.

cambre

Threads
I'm going to take a closer look at mine,I know I have 1 for the u-joint that goes into the deck,1 where the shaft goes into the deck shaft,another u-joint and the front pillowblock bearing and the rear pillowblock bearing,my manual does not show anything between those two bearings.tomorrow I'm going to look at my mower.maybe the newer mowers have three pillowblock bearings on the drive shaft..by the way I use a grease gun powered by air.makes it much easier to grease some of those hard to grease zirts...russ

I called grasshopper service and there is only two zerts on the drive shaft. I was counting the zert on the sliding shaft going to the deck as being on the drive shaft. They said to take the guard off that is protecting the bearing to grease it. They recommend greasing these every 80 hrs. This was my mistake and I'm sorry if I caused confusion.

cambre

Threads
The drive shaft has 2 fittings. One basically under your feet,( lift the foot rest up to get access) and the other is at the rear of the mower. I'm not sure which fitting you're talking about.

You are correct. The zert under the foot rest that has sliding shaft going to the deck is the one I thought was part of the drive shaft and you were talking about the drive shaft bearing further back under the foot rest. You are correct about only two bearings on the drive shaft. This was my mistake. Grasshopper said these need to be greased every 80 hrs. The one you said was under the foot rest is the one I could not grease. How do you grease yours? Grasshopper said I may have to take the bearing guard off to get to zert. Cambre

bobbysr

Threads
No need to take the gaurd off, its right there!

Attachments

• zerk.jpg
    zerk.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 37

173abn

Threads
glad you got it figured out...russ