Grease zerts you can't get to

cambre

Threads
I have a crasshoppoer 725D that has a grease zert on the drive shaft about middle way under mower. I bought the thing new and it has 500 hrs on it. The salesman showed me the zerts I needed to keep greased and did not mention this one. I don't recall the owners manual mentioning this zert I'm talking about. I used a 3 ton jack to jack it up as it is heavy. Still could not get to it. How long can I expect this bearing to last without greasing it? Thanks

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
cambre, There's got to be a way to grease it. Don't let it go. Someone in this forum has a way to grease it and will tell you, I hope. Sometimes cars have access trap doors or panels that snap open to give access from the top.

cambre

Threads
cambre, There's got to be a way to grease it. Don't let it go. Someone in this forum has a way to grease it and will tell you, I hope. Sometimes cars have access trap doors or panels that snap open to give access from the top.

Thanks motoman: I will wait for other answers. It may take a special grease gun. I have 4 but none work on this. I even bent the neck on one to try to get it to fit. No luck

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You probably know...there are kits with 90 degree adaptors and flex cables that can be bent around. I have also made extensions with tube. If you work alone a remote zerk is difficult without an air style gun. Mine is the old style hand pump. The middle spindle zerk on my 48" craftsman is difficult and usually bloody. Of course the deck can be dropped for that one.

bobbysr

Threads
The drive shaft has 2 fittings. One basically under your feet,( lift the foot rest up to get access) and the other is at the rear of the mower. I'm not sure which fitting you're talking about.

173abn

Threads
my 928d only has 2 pillowblock bearings to grease,one in front one in back.unless grasshopper added another one I couldn't tell you.My mower has a total of 14 zerks and a Grasshopper tech told me that number has been cut down on the newer models....russ

cambre

Threads
You probably know...there are kits with 90 degree adaptors and flex cables that can be bent around. I have also made extensions with tube. If you work alone a remote zerk is difficult without an air style gun. Mine is the old style hand pump. The middle spindle zerk on my 48" craftsman is difficult and usually bloody. Of course the deck can be dropped for that one.

Thanks motoman: I will look into what kind of adaptors that my help me.

cambre

Threads
The drive shaft has 2 fittings. One basically under your feet,( lift the foot rest up to get access) and the other is at the rear of the mower. I'm not sure which fitting you're talking about.

Thanks bobbysr: I know about the one under the foot rest. The salesman who sold me the mower showed me that one & the three that grease the blades. I found the one in the back either from the manual or when the PTO clutch quit. I bought the mower new for $11,700.00. It has 475 hrs on it and the PTO wire broke twice. I was able to fix it myself both times. After I found the zert I'm complaining about I really haven't taken the time to see if its in the manual. I did read the manual, especially about lubrication. This zert is between the one under the foot rest and the one in the rear. they are all on the drive shaft. Thanks for the answer.

bobbysr

Threads
This zert is between the one under the foot rest and the one in the rear. they are all on the drive shaft.
So you are saying that you have 3 zerk fittings on your drive shaft? What year is your mower?

173abn

Threads
I'm going to take a closer look at mine,I know I have 1 for the u-joint that goes into the deck,1 where the shaft goes into the deck shaft,another u-joint and the front pillowblock bearing and the rear pillowblock bearing,my manual does not show anything between those two bearings.tomorrow I'm going to look at my mower.maybe the newer mowers have three pillowblock bearings on the drive shaft..by the way I use a grease gun powered by air.makes it much easier to grease some of those hard to grease zirts...russ