getting caught up

173abn

Threads
Since having hip surgery in June I did'nt do much this summer as far as yard work.Now that I'm starting to feel better I've started clearing areas around my barn that in yrs past I took care of.These areas had become overgrown with weeds,some as high as 10'.The best way for me to "weed" is to pull them out by the roots.The process is slow but it only has to be done once for most of them.In doing this there are basically 4 main weeds that seem to like my area and in order of ease and dislike here is the list.Starting at the easiest #4 would be CornWeed,#3is a toss up so I'll go with Thistle#2is good old PoisionIvey.I wore a shortsleeved shirt and am now paying the price for my folley.And my #1 most hated weed to pull is non other than QueenAnns Lace.The ripe seeds from this weed stick to any thing they touch,gloves,shirts,pants,socks,and leg and arm hairs.Not only do they grow in profusium but they make billions of seeds.well thats my most hated weed list.Does anyone else have a list? russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since having hip surgery in June I did'nt do much this summer as far as yard work.Now that I'm starting to feel better I've started clearing areas around my barn that in yrs past I took care of.These areas had become overgrown with weeds,some as high as 10'.The best way for me to "weed" is to pull them out by the roots.The process is slow but it only has to be done once for most of them.In doing this there are basically 4 main weeds that seem to like my area and in order of ease and dislike here is the list.Starting at the easiest #4 would be CornWeed,#3is a toss up so I'll go with Thistle#2is good old PoisionIvey.I wore a shortsleeved shirt and am now paying the price for my folley.And my #1 most hated weed to pull is non other than QueenAnns Lace.The ripe seeds from this weed stick to any thing they touch,gloves,shirts,pants,socks,and leg and arm hairs.Not only do they grow in profusium but they make billions of seeds.well thats my most hated weed list.Does anyone else have a list? russ

Quackgrass or Quickgrass, nothing is worse.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
My most hated weed...

Weeds!

I don't have a specific weed I most hate, I just hate them all.

I love gardening; mowing, planting flowers/plants, keeping my trees nice and healthy, and other general stuff, but the one thing I hate with passion, is weeding!

Hate, hate, hate it!

Luckily, whenever the 'W' word comes up, I always have something else more important to attend to! :laughing:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
They say a weed is simply a plant growing someplace where someone does not want it to grow.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
They say a weed is simply a plant growing someplace where someone does not want it to grow.
You have a point.

Occasionally, I come across a weed that actually looks quite attractive, and I wish I didn't have to pull it out :laughing:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have heard many times that burmuda grass ( not sure spelled right ) at one time was called a weed and still is when it gets in the garden. Happens to be one of my favorite. And once it gets over a foot it's now called hay.

Oddball

Threads
I hate 'em all. We have every weed known to man in our yard I think, and every grass also. Its all nice and lush and as long as I keep it mowed regularly, from a distance it just looks like a lush green lawn. I'd planned on renovating the yard this summer and sodding with just one type of grass and redoing some of the flower beds, but ended up having to replace the roof instead. Maybe next Spring I can get it done.

Pete.S

Threads
I hate sand spurs. Here in Florida we got lots of sand and the damn things grow anywhere. When you week whack them you gotto go low. If you go high you send the spikey bits flying all over. I hate it when I stick them in my legs, socks and shorts.

Parkmower

Threads
Thistle and blue bells. Not sure if that's proper name