GCV190 surges even after trying everything I know

JBtoro

Threads
Friend brought a GCV190 from a pressure washer. Runs on first pull but surges like mad unless choked. Cleaned carb that was on it & tried two known good carbs but still surges. Gaskets in good shape & governor is set right. Air leak from somewhere maybe? Don't have a leak down tester but maybe could borrow one. Any suggestions?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
i don't believe a leak down tester will identfiy surging issue.
the best way i've found to check for air leaks (Thanks to this forum) is WD 40 in a trigger spray pack, with the engine running spray all round the carb and intake area. if engine speed changes or it blows white smoke, you have an air leak.

JBtoro

Threads
Thanks
i don't believe a leak down tester will identfiy surging issue.
the best way i've found to check for air leaks (Thanks to this forum) is WD 40 in a trigger spray pack, with the engine running spray all round the carb and intake area. if engine speed changes or it blows white smoke, you have an air leak.
Thanks. Didn't have trigger WD40 so I used brake clean. Surging evened out & then came back after fluid was used up. So, I went back & tried a different set of gaskets & engine ran much better. Still a little hiccup though so I am going to re-clean the carb.