Gas can nozzle gasket!

Law57

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have several Midwest brand 5 gallon containers. I have had about every brand can out there through the years and this brand has been the best ones yet. The double handles are a great feature also. The spout has a "C" shaped O ring for the spout. The safety spout is better than most and I won't say this ,but they are easily defeated if one wishes to do so. Those yellow "plugs" previously mentioned are a must for the new style safety ventless cans also. However, placement and using the right drill size is critical. The drill bit will grab and jerk the drill out of your hands if you're not very careful. Plus, should you ever need a replacement spout, Midweat will send you a new one, free of charge.
Thanks Man - I will take a look at them...

I read a couple of articles on Blitz 'incidents'... One, the guy kicked over a can, gas ran all over the floor of his garage and an open pilot light ignited the gas. Well Duh? 1) His can leaked or wasn't stowed properly. 2) storing gas near a flame? You can't fix stupid.

I keep my cans full in winter. I put the plow on my truck about this time of year. It won't see asphalt until next spring. It's now 15 years old, has only 60 K miles and zero rust. I'm very careful of where I store my gas in relation to any electrical outlet or device. I store the gas with the spout inside of the can and the yellow dot in the cover and the cover straight and tight. Don't cross thread it. Any can/spout will leak with a cross threaded cover. I'm sure I could kick over one of my Blitz cans and it wouldn't leak. Just my experience.

lbrac

Threads
Different subject, but still gas container related. I found that a 3/4" PVC pipe cap will fit my old Blitz-type cans that have a rigid poly spout. The PVC withstands fuel, and they are easy on/off with a twist/push/pull. The original caps seem to have a way of disappearing over the years.

LPowell1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve noticed that my poly can’s flexible nozzle leaks where it’s attached to the can and after a closer look, I noticed the rubber gasket was all cracked into small pieces, some of which were missing.

Now I can only assume that some are in the container so I’m going to pour all the gas out of the container using a ”screened funnel” in order to be sure I don’t get any parts of the dried out gasket into my engines.

Im wondering how often this happens and if others check their gaskets regularly as I’m sure the contact with gas shortens their life significantly!

Also wonder if rubbing a light coat of oil on the gasket would help rather than purchasing a new nozzle every so often?

Has this happened to anyone else ???
I just take the spout off and use a funnel with my gas cans, diesel cans for filling mower, tractor, chainsaws, weed eaters, etc. No spillage, much easier, and less dangerous than the govt mandated safety junk.

Law57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Different subject, but still gas container related. I found that a 3/4" PVC pipe cap will fit my old Blitz-type cans that have a rigid poly spout. The PVC withstands fuel, and they are easy on/off with a twist/push/pull. The original caps seem to have a way of disappearing over the years.
Thanks, good to know. I wrote, above, that I got those little yellow spout caps on Ebay a few years ago. I don't know if they carry the spouts or not.

Threads
I replaced my 5 gal. gas cans with these EZPour nozzles.

20210415_112145.jpg
Here I installed them.

20210415_113041.jpg
Then this happen. EZPour became EZ Leak. Gas all over the concrete patio.

20211013_154148.jpg

20211013_154114.jpg

So I replaced the EZ Leak nozzles with a red cap and now I use this pump. No spillage at all.

red cap on gas can.jpg

gas pump.jpg

Silviasil

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have found that orange juice and milk “cartons” make good long lasting and of course gasoline proof gaskets for gas cans gas caps etc. Just try it , what do you think?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds good, I have used rubber from old tire inner tubes I cut to fit..

Law57

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have found that orange juice and milk “cartons” make good long lasting and of course gasoline proof gaskets for gas cans gas caps etc. Just try it , what do you think?
Curios - I don't have any gaskets on my Blitz cans. So I have to ask - why not use o-rings for gaskets? They come in all sizes under the sun...