Gas can nozzle gasket!

Rickcin

Threads
I’ve noticed that my poly can’s flexible nozzle leaks where it’s attached to the can and after a closer look, I noticed the rubber gasket was all cracked into small pieces, some of which were missing.

Now I can only assume that some are in the container so I’m going to pour all the gas out of the container using a ”screened funnel” in order to be sure I don’t get any parts of the dried out gasket into my engines.

Im wondering how often this happens and if others check their gaskets regularly as I’m sure the contact with gas shortens their life significantly!

Also wonder if rubbing a light coat of oil on the gasket would help rather than purchasing a new nozzle every so often?

Has this happened to anyone else ???

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have come across the cracked and missing pieces of the rubber gasket on fillter necks. Also have a few that the rubber gasket on the fuel cap for the riding mowers likes to drop pieces into the fuel tank which ends up in the fuel outlet plugging fuel flow. Also have to watch for the white plastic fuel tanks chipping off at the filler hole and falling in.

Rickcin

Threads
Have come across the cracked and missing pieces of the rubber gasket on fillter necks. Also have a few that the rubber gasket on the fuel cap for the riding mowers likes to drop pieces into the fuel tank which ends up in the fuel outlet plugging fuel flow. Also have to watch for the white plastic fuel tanks chipping off at the filler hole and falling in.
Thanks for the reply & info, I appreciate it!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is not split then you can get petrol proof O rings ( usually brown for identification or a sheet of petrol proof rubber and cut one.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting!
Yea, I know this, old news, but these cans have been fine & still are best for me. Hot summers I burp them in the evening.

Every winter I empty them, & leave the caps only partially on, & covered by plastic baggie & gumbands, this prevents them from caving in from the cold diff temps.

Rickcin

Threads
Yea, I know this, old news, but these cans have been fine & still are best for me. Hot summers I burp them in the evening.

Every winter I empty them, & leave the caps only partially on, & covered by plastic baggie & gumbands, this prevents them from caving in from the cold diff temps.
I need to keep some gas throughout the winter so perhaps I should keep a metal can filled while keeping my two poly cans empty.

The poly containers will still expand & contract even when empty?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I have 6 of the 5gal Blitz cans I keep full and sealed for the generator. Have had them for 25 years. No problems. Too bad idiots put them out of business.

You can order a nozzle, cap, etc. kit on Amazon that has the needed replacement parts. I have had good success replacing bad parts and fixing leaks. Costs around $20 and fixes about 3 or 4 plastic gas containers.