Fuel Shut off valves

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
This may be the dumbest question I've ever asked on this forum, but here goes.

It's common knowledge, for the most part, that buying cheaper stuff online, will get you cheap stuff. It's like the saying "if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes." Well, I'm feeling pretty stupid today, when I was looking for shut off valves on Amazon. The briggs ones are about $5 each. Which is about what the local parts house sells them for. But if you scroll down, there's a pack of 10 off brands for about $1 each, with the hose clamps that go with them.
A few years ago, I got a pack of 10, and didn't have one issue with any of the. But i can't remember what brand they were. I just remember they were about $1 each with clamps. The last batch I got, I may have gotten 6 out of 10 that didn't leak.
Does anyone have a particular off brand they've used/trust that's about $1 each?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I always Prefer OEM, or engine Mfgr
but if I do but Chinesium I always read reviews. Especially the 1 star reviews, if there is a Same recurring problem, I'll move on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No.
I pay $ 5 Aus a piece for ones from my wholesalers.
Goes back to what was suggested a long time ago.
Open accounts with Stens, Oregon . Prime Line & Rotary.
Most of what you find on line is trash.
Either the castings are bad of the O ring or seal is neoprene
So when exposed to fuel they soften swell then either leak or block off the supply.
Some are moulded form non UV resistant plastics and go brittle & break in a very short time.
Goes back to that insurance thing, fuel tap breaks pouring fuel into garage that gets ignited by a boiler & you will be deemed responsible .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm gonna give the Oregon ones a shot. When business picks up, I'll get the good stuff.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
get yourself registered so you get your tax number.
That is all you need to open accounts with most wholesalers.
It will also get you discounts with Parts Direct & Jacks.
Down here the difference can be as much as 75% of the brand name parts which gives you a better mark up.
Most have a min spend for free delivery so I let restocking orders build up to around that level so when I need a specific part right now I have a free delivery sized order ready & waiting.

Example.
Customer came in wanting a chain depth stop file guide
They are $ 3.95 plus $ 15 delivery
But I had fitted some blades and tubes a while back plus run out of GX float bowls
So , minimum order, customer paid $ 6 for the guide & is happy.
Usually I would have bought the tubes from another supplier but needed that extra $ 30.

AVB

Threads
It called using your head. ;)

Yes sometimes adding an item to meet a minimum amount is necessary even if it cost a little more than from another vendor as you can make up for the extra cost in overall savings. It sorta like the choke spring I ordering today it costing me an extra fifty cents but I save on shipping as placing order with a different distributor for bulk fuel lines that I save a lot more than my distributor Briggs have the lines for. It is a lot easier to pay for one order than two different orders.

Andi

Threads
This may be the dumbest question I've ever asked on this forum, but here goes.

It's common knowledge, for the most part, that buying cheaper stuff online, will get you cheap stuff. It's like the saying "if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes." Well, I'm feeling pretty stupid today, when I was looking for shut off valves on Amazon. The briggs ones are about $5 each. Which is about what the local parts house sells them for. But if you scroll down, there's a pack of 10 off brands for about $1 each, with the hose clamps that go with them.
A few years ago, I got a pack of 10, and didn't have one issue with any of the. But i can't remember what brand they were. I just remember they were about $1 each with clamps. The last batch I got, I may have gotten 6 out of 10 that didn't leak.
Does anyone have a particular off brand they've used/trust that's about $1 each?
I love Amazon for almost everything. I got a shut-off valve with an air filter but didn't need it. And would not use it. When I was looking for ignition coils, Amazon had them for 19.99. Kohler sells them from 65.00-99.00. I had my parts man order the OEM. I have found that with most mechanical or electrical parts, OEM is usually better.

AVB

Threads
Which coils are you referring to as 65 - 99 each? I personally know the 32 584 25-S coils are listed at 42.52 ea with my cost being 25.51 ea. Now I am in the US and a place like Australia the same coils would be 40% higher due currency exchange rates. Even OPEengines.com has them for 34.25. for OEM coils.