Front dethatcher???

jpcjguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

So I recently bought a Bobcat 52" FastCat Pro with the Kawasaki FX651V engine and Hydro-gear 3100. I am looking at getting a front de-thatcher. Any recommendations for brand? size? features?

Thanks,
Joe

Boudreaux

Threads
Homeowner here cutting 3.5 acres with a Scag Cheetah (61" 31 Kawasaki).

I will be following this very closely. I have never used a dethatcher on my yard in the twenty years of cutting. I'm not even sure of the results I would get. I watched many videos and noticed there are many different levels of quality in the front mounted detatcher. Or, would a pull-behind be better.

Like JPCJGUY, I would like to know of the better-built, and more reliable units available .... thanks

:smile: :laughing: :smile:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
An organic grass will not have as much thatch as one that is fed fertilizer. The reason is that fertilizer really messes up the grass's capability to get rid of it's thatch quickly.
So, if you use fertilizer, dethatch each year in the early spring or fall. Hope this helped a little even tho you are looking for a decent setup for your ZTR.

Boudreaux

Threads
An organic grass will not have as much thatch as one that is fed fertilizer. The reason is that fertilizer really messes up the grass's capability to get rid of it's thatch quickly.
So, if you use fertilizer, dethatch each year in the early spring or fall. Hope this helped a little even tho you are looking for a decent setup for your ZTR.

I have fertilized only twice in those twenty years, but I do find your post helpful..... thanks.

Boudreaux

Threads
Something else about Detatching just popped into my mind. My front yards is largely St Augustine. My first thought about running a detatcher through St Augustine is that the tines might pull it all up, thereby destroying the grass.

Anyone with thoughts on this issue......???

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Something else about Detatching just popped into my mind. My front yards is largely St Augustine. My first thought about running a detatcher through St Augustine is that the tines might pull it all up, thereby destroying the grass.

Anyone with thoughts on this issue......???

That's why I am not a fan of the push of drag kind it kinda can dig deep you don't much control

Boudreaux

Threads
That's why I am not a fan of the push of drag kind it kinda can dig deep you don't much control

Thanks .... The more I read about detatching, the more I feel I need to look into the grass seriously. I may not need the service....

:smile: :smile: :smile:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks .... The more I read about detatching, the more I feel I need to look into the grass seriously. I may not need the service....

:smile: :smile: :smile:

De thatching is a good thing ... In moderation this is my opinion to much thatch allows a place for harmful insects to thrive and disease to grow, it also insulates the roots and protects the soil from direct sunlight so to much thatch can be bad bug no thatch can also be bad sun baked soil compacts, doesn't drain properly, can burn roots so you need to decide.

Oh ya power raking helps remove moss in case that's another issue

Threads
Hi all,

So I recently bought a Bobcat 52" FastCat Pro with the Kawasaki FX651V engine and Hydro-gear 3100. I am looking at getting a front de-thatcher. Any recommendations for brand? size? features?

Thanks,
Joe

I can get a front mount dethatcher still in the box not new but un-used for $50. Have you used one before? How good do they work?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a front mounted 46" JRCO dethatcher on my Scag Tiger Cub/48" deck and collection system. I use it in both spring and fall for cleanup and sometimes in season. I also use it to cleanup after trimming or felling a tree. It does work better when used with a collection system, however not necessary to have a collection system.
The JRCO dethatchers have two rows of tines with double spring action. Height adjustments are made at the attachment bracket and the front wheels to suit the type of lawn. I have mine adjusted for strong dethatching and some areas that are mossy or have shallow roots will get torn out.
JRCO products are quality and functional and are more expensive.
The tines are easily replaced and are reasonably priced.
Check out the pics in Mad Mackies Albums and you will see my Tiger Cub in full attachment dress!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile: