From Kubota To Scag......First Impressions

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
We have digressed a bit but this is life!
Very interesting aircraft experience. There is something about those old birds that that I miss. My old Caribou 149 is still flying with the cavflight.org. We used 115/145 AVGAS in all the piston AC and the engine oil was always nasty. When 100LL was forced on us the oil looked a little better. I don't miss having to pre heat the engines though!
Fill up the oil and check the gas was an old joke, but it happened more often than we realized!
I was looking for something in my garage a while back and found a pair of my old Nomex flight gloves that were stained purple from preflight checks draining the fuel strainers, 115/145 had purple color to it. :cool:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agreed. There really is something special about those old radial engine planes. Each one of those cylinder jugs is a masterpiece of engineering and manufacturing and each engine had 7, 9, 14, 18, or in your case, 28 of them! And thousands were built.

I've never seen one, but the Napier sleeve-valve engines sounded like they were even more complicated.