Flywheel interchangeability question

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mine is on a 12 hp B&S. On the briggs there is two differant size blower houseings and mine took the biger of the two. As far as pulling it isn't bad at all. I have a good size handle on the rope. Two pulls onece with the choke on and then with it off and it starts right up. I got mine from a mower salvage yard and off a older engine.

Berniebac

Threads
Mine is on a 12 hp B&S. On the briggs there is two differant size blower houseings and mine took the biger of the two. As far as pulling it isn't bad at all. I have a good size handle on the rope. Two pulls onece with the choke on and then with it off and it starts right up. I got mine from a mower salvage yard and off a older engine.

Ok, I think I see what you did. You replaced the blower housing on the engine with one that had the recoil built into it. That gave you the pull start ability. Cool!

I have not had any luck with the starter so I will likely have to order a new one. It just won't spin the flywheel. Jams every time. Oh well it was worth a shot.

Berniebac

Threads
Update: I had a bad solenoid, so I replaced that. I put the starter from my 16 hp engine on the tractor and hit the key and the tractor started right up. So, it is possible to change the drive gear on the top of the starter to match a different ring gear on a motor.

My new to me tractor is now running well, and starting very easily. Today I mowed my small city lot with it to test before it goes off the the cottage for the rest of its life (I hope).

This is the second tractor I got running this year and hopefully my last for a while. It is fun to work on these small tractors and I have learned a lot, but I don't need a whole stable of them.