Flywheel interchangeability question

Berniebac

Threads
I have two briggs engines.

Engine 1: 14.5 hp Mod. 287707 Type 0224-01, Code 970117ZD

Engine 2: 16 hp mod. 311777, type0209-E1, Code 011211ZD

I only have the starter for the 16 hp which has metal ring gears and the 14 hp has plastic ring gears.

Can I use the starter and the flywheel from the 16 hp on the 14 hp? That way I would not need to buy a new starter for the 14 hp.

Berniebac

Threads
Looking into the parts manual a little bit and I see they sell a drive gear replacement kit. I wonder if it would be possible to replace the drive gear on my starter with one that would fit the plastic ring gears. Anyone know if that could be a solution?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Berniebac

Threads
Well, I didn't bother changing flywheels and ring gears. I thought the starter was a simpler approach. So I ordered a new drive gear for the top of the starter and changed that and the engine rolls over. I have a few things to check before I try to start the tractor.

So it is possible to simply change the drive gears on the starter when using a starter from another motor.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you given it a thought to buy a complete recondition starter. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't much different in cost of just buying a drive gear.

Berniebac

Threads
No, I just purchased the sprocket for the top of the starter. It was $3.99 took the old metal one with 14 teeth off, and replaced it with the new one with 16 teeth. It spins the flywheel pretty good but I think I have other issues that will not let the engine start. Presently, it rolls the flywheel very slowly like there is not enough power getting to the starter.

The starter itself could be bad. I picked this tractor up used knowing the 16 hp motor was blown and I replaced it with the 14.5 hp. So I don't know the history behind the tractor or all of the problems it may have. But I just want it for the cottage where I mow 4 or5 times a year. I'll play with it and see if I can get it going. Starter was the first place after replacing the motor with a used one.

Berniebac

Threads
Thought I better post an update on the replacement starter drive gear. I do not think it will work. I tried the starter on the tractor again today and the new drive gear on the top of the starter gets stuck up in the ring gears of the motor.

I am not giving up yet but will have to review the starter install before I can say for sure that simply changing the drive gear on the top of the starter is a solution for using one starter on another engine. I dont want to be responsible for posting incorrect info.

I will update again once the experiment has come to some conclusion.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
So your starter had a 14 tooth metal gear and you put on a 16 tooth plastic gear I have never had any luck doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I also have a camp which doesn't get mowed very much. I found as for my self with trying to keep a good battery up with the mower setting most of the time I did away with the starter all together. It just seem I was haveing a lot of battery problims. I installed a recoil pull rope to start it. I find it starts with the second pull. I bought the recoil from the mower salvage yard.

Berniebac

Threads
So your starter had a 14 tooth metal gear and you put on a 16 tooth plastic gear I have never had any luck doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Yes that is exactly what I did and I am not having much luck either. But,it was worth a try to save the cost of a new starter. I might have to stat looking for a used stater now.

Berniebac

Threads
I also have a camp which doesn't get mowed very much. I found as for my self with trying to keep a good battery up with the mower setting most of the time I did away with the starter all together. It just seem I was haveing a lot of battery problims. I installed a recoil pull rope to start it. I find it starts with the second pull. I bought the recoil from the mower salvage yard.

I would love to see how you did that. It won't be used very often so th battery will be a problem for me as well. What size motor did you put a recoil starter on? Aren't they difficult to pull start in the higher horsepower.