Fire pits

Zeroturn

Threads
So I just got a notice in the mail today that we are no longer allowed to use fire pits. I live in the country and I think it's crazy. It's a fire pit, not an uncontainable fire. Your thoughts on this?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Has your area had an unusually large number of fires, or is it exceptionally dry and posing an unusual fire risk at the present time?

Usedtorent

Threads
We had that problem a year back or so but they lifted the ban. Is it something that they are going to change or is it permanent? Has there been a lot of fires? I wonder why they would make a law like that if there was not.

Bethieboo

Threads
I would think it depends. If you do not like this new rule then you may want to get a petition or something. We had a ban and it is now permanent. I think it is crazy to take fire away from the people.

Homesteader

Threads
We live in the country outside a little bedroom town, not even a suburb. They can no longer use their fireplaces nor burn leaves. It's an air pollution ban. I hope they don't bring that out here.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
So I just got a notice in the mail today that we are no longer allowed to use fire pits. I live in the country and I think it's crazy. It's a fire pit, not an uncontainable fire. Your thoughts on this?

Is it specifically for a pit, or can you burn in a barrel/steel drum? Burning in a drum makes a lot less smoke. When I lived in the city you were suppose to bundle and bag yard waste then drag it to the street once a month and they would pick it up. Everything had to be just perfect or they would leave it.
I just burned waste in a barrel and no one was the wiser.
Were I live now no one is supposed to burn but everybody does. I've never heard of anyone getting cited for it, but none complains when a little smoke moves through either.

Tillie

Threads
Here we burn trash without a problem, but our neighbor did start a good sized fire last year when lost control of his burning. They sent him the bill, since the fire department out here is volunteer.

SallyA

Threads
We have a burning ban in the summer here and it's restricted to certain times in the fall, winter and spring. The authorities usually don't say anything if you burn trash or use a fire pit, but if the fire gets out-of-hand and does damage, you have to pay for it. I think you also have to pay a fine.

monica123

Threads
Where I live between April and October, in order to burn you need to purchase a permit and only if the weather is wet enough, ie, had enough rain, if not, no go. October to April there is no ban at all.

Bethieboo

Threads
That is what is funny about where I live. We can not have fires but they will also not take yard debris of any form. You can try to bag it and hide it but they DO find it and fine you if they catch you doing that. I asked them what I am supposed to do and they said either compost it or haul it away myself.

Last edited: