Export thread

Fire pits

Z

Zeroturn

So I just got a notice in the mail today that we are no longer allowed to use fire pits. I live in the country and I think it's crazy. It's a fire pit, not an uncontainable fire. Your thoughts on this?

K

KennyV

Has your area had an unusually large number of fires, or is it exceptionally dry and posing an unusual fire risk at the present time?

U

Usedtorent

We had that problem a year back or so but they lifted the ban. Is it something that they are going to change or is it permanent? Has there been a lot of fires? I wonder why they would make a law like that if there was not.

B

Bethieboo

I would think it depends. If you do not like this new rule then you may want to get a petition or something. We had a ban and it is now permanent. I think it is crazy to take fire away from the people.

H

Homesteader

We live in the country outside a little bedroom town, not even a suburb. They can no longer use their fireplaces nor burn leaves. It's an air pollution ban. I hope they don't bring that out here.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

So I just got a notice in the mail today that we are no longer allowed to use fire pits. I live in the country and I think it's crazy. It's a fire pit, not an uncontainable fire. Your thoughts on this?

Is it specifically for a pit, or can you burn in a barrel/steel drum? Burning in a drum makes a lot less smoke. When I lived in the city you were suppose to bundle and bag yard waste then drag it to the street once a month and they would pick it up. Everything had to be just perfect or they would leave it.
I just burned waste in a barrel and no one was the wiser.
Were I live now no one is supposed to burn but everybody does. I've never heard of anyone getting cited for it, but none complains when a little smoke moves through either.

T

Tillie

Here we burn trash without a problem, but our neighbor did start a good sized fire last year when lost control of his burning. They sent him the bill, since the fire department out here is volunteer.

S

SallyA

We have a burning ban in the summer here and it's restricted to certain times in the fall, winter and spring. The authorities usually don't say anything if you burn trash or use a fire pit, but if the fire gets out-of-hand and does damage, you have to pay for it. I think you also have to pay a fine.

M

monica123

Where I live between April and October, in order to burn you need to purchase a permit and only if the weather is wet enough, ie, had enough rain, if not, no go. October to April there is no ban at all.

B

Bethieboo

That is what is funny about where I live. We can not have fires but they will also not take yard debris of any form. You can try to bag it and hide it but they DO find it and fine you if they catch you doing that. I asked them what I am supposed to do and they said either compost it or haul it away myself.

JDgreen

JDgreen

That is what is funny about here. We can not have fires but they will also not take yard debris of any form. You can try to bag it and hide it but they DO fine if they catch you doing that. I asked them what I am supposed to do and they said either compost it or haul it away myself.

We live in a rural area but the township is cracking down on fire pits. To have a campfire you need to have a free inspection and if your burn pit is safe enough, you still have to call a number and announce "I am going to burn a campfire at......" Permits may be revoked during hot and dry weather. I have a huge brushpile, about 30-35 cubic yards, and all my neighbors, seven of them, toss their yard waste and brush on it, and every third or fourth year I have a winter bonfire. I do think that someday that will not be possible, but understand why.

N

noma

Hi
I'm in Minnesota and we need to call in if we are going to burn brush pile like trees we have cut down ans put in a pile to burn, the reason they want you to call the sheriffs office and tell them you are burning is that way if some one call it into the sheriffs office they can say they are doing a controlled burn and they will not send the fire deptment out. And if you don't call it in and the sheriffs office sends them out they will charge you for coming out. If someone calls that fire in the sheriffs office will call the person burning and see if you need the fire deptment out. Every year you have to go in to the sheriffs office and get a burn permit so they know where you live in case the fire would get away from you. There are a lot of people that call fires in with every one with a cell phone now. And it up dated phones numbers. Fire pits are fine, i have a burn barrel and we burn our garage in it just paper thing that burn on a still day and not to dry out side.

C

cren

Our fire dept is volunteer as well and I think they do fine but for the most part those in my area are very cautious when they do burn. We have also had a few combo burns together just to have a reason to have a get together since on our road there are only 5 other families here.