Fertilizer spreader or sprayer?

bellevuebill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have about 4 acres that I mow. I have not used fertilizer or weed control in the past. I always figured that as long as it was green it was ok :biggrin:.
Now that I want to start controlling the weeds I was curious as to which method of applying fertilizer is most effective, a liquid sprayer mounted behind my lawn tractor or a pull behind broadcast spreader?
Is there a cost difference between liquid and dry fertilizers?
Which method do you use and what are the benefits or problems with each?

MikeSp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have about 4 acres that I mow. I have not used fertilizer or weed control in the past. I always figured that as long as it was green it was ok :biggrin:.
Now that I want to start controlling the weeds I was curious as to which method of applying fertilizer is most effective, a liquid sprayer mounted behind my lawn tractor or a pull behind broadcast spreader?
Is there a cost difference between liquid and dry fertilizers?
Which method do you use and what are the benefits or problems with each?

I have used both methods on my three acres. The downside to liquid fertilizer would be that it is used immediately by the grass (and weeds) whereas pelletized solid fertilizer takes a while to dissolve. It is easier IMHO to calculate coverage using brand name broadcast spreaders than it is to calculate RPM's, PSI, coverage by various spray nozzles, etc. and do the math to come up with the right tank mix for liquids AND roller pumps used to apply liquid fertilizers need to be designed for that purpose and cost double what a roller pump for herbicides costs although the roller pump for liquid fertilizer can be used to spray about anything. I broadcast pelletized fertilizer when I fertilize (and do so less and less as the prices have become high enough to about force me to quit) and use a 50 gallon PTO-driven tank sprayer for herbicides (2,4-D is still cheap).

MikeSp

danny57

Threads
I to have used both metnods but found that liquid fertilizer is better. Of course with either, the weather in the form of rain is necessary. I cannot believe the cost of fertilizer this year. A 40 lb bag of regular 10-10-10 garden fertlizer cost me $12 at Lowes. I had my yard treated with high amts of potassiom this past winter and did not fertilize this spring and that seemed to work fine.

BlueGrass

Threads
I don't have 4 acres but we do fertilize our lawn with a spreader. We probably don't do it as much as we should though. I think we do it about once every couple of years. It's just hard to find time to put into the lawn when I am never home.